Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Default starting problems

I have a 2004 Ford Focus, In the past year I have had some problems starting the engine in the morning , but only
occasionally. Sometimes it willl start up right away, and other times I only get a clicking sound. It is a manual transmission, and it will push start by popping the clutch. We had the starter replaced, and the next morning it would not start. Confused and frustrated!!! I also have occasional water dripping into the footwell on the passenger side, and it is occasionally hard to shift into 1st or Rev. from a starting position. Not sure if anything is related, but I thought I'd share all the problems at once.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Default RE: starting problems

hello, i have a focus 2000, 2 lts motor, suddenly it wont cranks, i check all the fuses, the cluch switch (locate in the cluch pedal), and everything is ok......i check the key and have the correct code....the alarms and it work fine, but still dont cranks....i live in la paz mexico and call the dealers, but they can have a expert to fix it........if a jump the solenoide cable to the batery the starte motor run...
But, it look like a protection....because, the gas pump not run at open the switch, but i jump the control module and the pump is ok........somebody can help me.....thanks

Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 AM

Put first to 2nd gear and then to the 1st or rev, it always helps in my car.
Water drips in through the cabin microfilter. Check if the black plastic is tight to the windshield on the passenger side outside of the car. If not, glue it on the windshield. If it still doesn't help, then you have the same problem as me and i still haven't figured it out where the water enters the car. And my mechanic has no clue aswell. Nevertheless, the black plastic has a channell (to take away the water) above the filter which could be bent down and not doing its job...

Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 AM

you might try this....
kinda the same thing, but when you try to start and hear clicking does ur basical electric stuff work (radio, lights)
if so try this below. mine when i have this problem it will click a bunch of times and the radio works but wont start.
start carying a hammer or mallet... (i have the same thing) tap on the red side of the battery with somthing.
it will start.. was at intersection w/ red light on main st. sherrif's car next to me my car did the same thing.
i had to pop hood and do this. i dont know why but its like its not getting a good connection.
BTW i took this to wal-mart and had battery end replaced it works find so far.