Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Sync Update Failure. Black Screen. Boot Loop

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Default Sync Update Failure. Black Screen. Boot Loop

I just tried updating my Sync Firmware yesterday for the first time in a while. I couldn't get it working with a usb stick, so I used my SD Card, which is what I remember doing when I did it the first time. It started to show it was reading the firmware update files correctly, and then the screen went black, which is supposed to happen, and then bring me to the next screen of progress bars. Instead, after a moment, it brought me to a screen where it said it was waiting to read usb device, then after almost a minute, it says it cant read usb device, cancelling update procedure. Then it proceeds to constantly go through that loop over and over again of saying its waiting for usb device, and then saying it cant read it and its cancelling the update process. So. I turn off the car. I take the SD Card out, and I leave the car off all night. I get in the car to go to work this morning, and the instant I get it turned and and sit down, it is black screen, and then it prompts those same two messages and then goes to black screen, and it keeps on doing it over and over again. It is stuck in a boot loop. I have now tried disconnecting the battery to make sure there is no power to the system, and did that for a couple of hours. I came back, reattached the battery to get power, and still the same two messages. Still a boot loop. I have a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback, with Sync MYTouch Gen 2, without Navigation. IF someone can help me with this, I would be eternally grateful, since I don't really have all the time to deal with this right now, and I just got back from my Ford dealer to try and get it fixed, and the earliest they can take a look at my car is next Monday, the 11th, and it is currently Tuesday evening, the 5th. I want to tear my hair out because of this nonsense. Thank you in advance to any and all that can help me.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:41 PM

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same issue.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:16 AM

At this point , don't know if it is definitely a problem with the program or something just causing multiple unrelated problems.

So,,,,,,,
Can you provide the year and model of your vehicle and believe it or not , what kind of maintenance has been done for the last 3 months..
There is a particular reason I am asking for the maintenance info because the slightest interference from the electrical system can drive the sync system nuts.
We just might be able to save you some time and trouble, thanks.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:05 PM

I have only seen two vehicles where the customer sync update didnt work correctly. We can do a more complete update for sync then what you can do at home. Dealer will likely charge you an hour of labor for that.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:30 AM

I had no issues updating my FordF250 Lariet, but I had a similar problem as you describe with another brand vehicle. The exact same scenario turned out to be that the Simm card in the car was too small. On a hunch, I replaced the card with a higher capacity and everything worked smoothly. The prompts say it can't read the USB drive but what it should say is there is not enough space to write. As I said, this was another brand vehicle, but it sounds exactly the same. I hope this helps.