Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Cross-threaded stud causing me to have to replace hub and bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 05:06 PM
Default Cross-threaded stud causing me to have to replace hub and bearing

The other day my front passenger tire was coming loose and I luckily made it to discount tire in which they told me my stud was broken and they could only tighten my other ones which was fine. I then took it to les Schwab and they informed me that my stud was cross-threaded and I needed to replace the hub and the bearing which would cost $550. I then called Midas for a second opinion and the mechanic told me “there is absolutely no reason to do all of that due to a stud”. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Old 02-05-2022, 05:55 PM

The majority of the time , an individual stud can be replaced.

We need to be careful here, why,,, because when a wheel gets loose due to the nuts not holding the rim to the hub, more than one stud is usually involved.
What is generally done is to replace all the studs and nuts that hold the wheel to the hub. The studs just get punched out , and new studs pressed back in. Not a big deal , and just about any shop should be able to do it. There is some labor involved since the hub will need to be removed to remove and install the new studs. Parts wise , usually the new studs and nuts that hold the wheel on , plus a new nut that holds the axle in the hub. We must not forget to make sure no damage was done to the holes in the wheel rim.

After all this is done ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good idea to check the other wheel nuts . Of course the question comes up as to why this happened in the first place.