Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-forum-help-suggestion-center-9/)
-   -   2017 F250 USB front ports not working (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-forum-help-suggestion-center-9/2017-f250-usb-front-ports-not-working-46763/)

RoyD 02-10-2023 11:11 AM

2017 F250 USB front ports not working

I have a 2017 F250 and the USB ports in the front have been checked by Ford and need replacing.
They tell me they need to pull out the middle console to be able to get behind the ports to replace them.
They also told me that the ports in the backseat area are just for charging and sync 3 will never recognize them should I want to plug in an iPad or flash drive.
The cost they gave me for replacement of the two up front is just over $300.
has anyone experienced this with their Superduties and does this all sound legitimate?

Hayapower 02-10-2023 12:55 PM

The USB hub in the console cubby are the only USB connections with communication capability. If you want to do the job yourself, I can send you the job task/illustrations to R&R the hub.You can find OE units on eBay etc. Did you do a NAV update, or Hardware and the hubs are now intermittent or failed?

Hayapower 02-10-2023 01:01 PM

Also, did you do a SYNC version update just prior to the USB hub issues?

RoyD 02-10-2023 04:15 PM

Yes, can you please send me the info and thank you.

RoyD 02-10-2023 05:35 PM

No,I did not do an update to Sync.
I am not sure the USB ports ever worked at all.
I did buy the truck new but really had no need at the time to use those ports.

Hayapower 02-12-2023 11:35 AM

The reason I asked about a SYNC update,, if set to "auto update" by WiFi, I've heard of a few instances where the version update caused issues with the USB comm with the Audio/APIM.
The hub replacement is a simple task. If it still doesn't work after the swap, you may have a firmware/hardware issue.
Sent to your email..

RoyD 02-13-2023 12:51 AM

Thank you so much.
I will let Ford replace them on Wednesday in hopes that is the only problem.
I will keep what you are saying in mind if Ford can’t figure out the problem should replacing the USB ports not do anything.

RoyD 02-16-2023 11:29 AM

Inactive from USB ports 2017 F250 Sync3

Originally Posted by Hayapower (Post 134887)
Also, did you do a SYNC version update just prior to the USB hub issues?

Ford in Poway Ca had my truck for 8 hours yesterday trying to figure out why their newly installed front USB ports were still not working at all.
they replaced the ports to no avail, took them out and replaced those ports to no avail then tried the ports somewhere else and they worked there.
They ran 2 seperate diagnostics and apparently some of the tests were mysteriously dropping off.
at this point I am about to give up as the cost of a new APIM is too much of a gamble should replacing that not solve the problem.
Any ideas?

Hayapower 02-16-2023 12:57 PM

If the APIM, you can buy at 'take out' module already programmed (your VIN number supplied at point of sale) to your VIN with your trucks 'as built' data for a 1/3 of what Ford would charge you. You can find the APIM's in the 3-400.00 range. Also, the replacement APIM will be loaded with Sync 3.4 so if/when replacing the USB hub, you can upgrade to USB-C. Instead of 5 watts, the later version and newer hub would charge at 7.5 watts. Changing the APIM is very simple, more so if already programmed.

Hayapower 02-16-2023 01:29 PM

Here's an image of the APIM.
The USB hub coax cable plugs into the "blue connector" on the APIM module. There's no circuit protections on/for the USB, and is direct cabled to the APIM. If the hub is dead (replacement didn't correct the issue) I'd be suspect of the module. My replacement APIM with Sync 3.4 works fine. I went from Non NAV to a NAV APIM system. Screen colors/layout are like the newer F Series trucks.
If fact, when I bought the truck new, Service "Would not" program a replacement NAV APIM for my truck, only a Non NAV like it came with. The NAV APIM has much larger storage capability for Maps etc.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...4c429953c.jpeg