Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

WorkBench How-To Rebuild 7.3/6.0 Review!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default WorkBench How-To Rebuild 7.3/6.0 Review!

Workbench How-To Review

With the ever growing ‘Need’ for vehicle specific repair or rebuild/replacement information for the DIYer, home shop garage mechanics, and the seasoned Tech alike, sometimes finding solid repair manual specific information, or out on the internet and sources or venues like YouTube, Forum Tech reads can be a strain on time. More so when extended ‘down time’ and repair costs, major or more minor, come into play. Mistakes,, we’ve all made them, and repeat repairs can be expensive and add time to correct.

Did I say or mention the ‘satisfaction’ of doing the job yourself? Or, after digging in, confused, usually bloodied and thinking, what was I thinking here! How could I have done this better, easier?!

As an all Ford fleet Master Mechanic for 34 years in the private sector, I’ve come to realize that ‘There is strength in numbers, ’no one’ has all the answers all the time, and everyone needs direction, pointers and training, or lost to a degree even stuck/baffled or thrown that confusion curve ball at some point or time on a project or repair. The best way to forge ahead, maybe a directive nudge is needed to complete a task or job, but certainly to be well or the best informed you can be before you begin and don’t be afraid or to proud to ask for help when your scratching a hole in your haircut in wonder!

I was asked to review this paper back material in an honest and open manner.. Not being a professional writer, you get what you get here!.

I selected this Workbench ‘How To’ for the REBUILD FORD POWER STROKE DIESEL ENGINES 1994-2007 mainly because of the amount of 7.3-6.0 help requests posted on this site and my personal experiences over the years with them. Probably a significant number of Forum Members or owners haven’t or may never dive deep into any PSD’s removal, or complete engine breakdown and rebuilding of these engines, but with many aging mills closing in on that ‘decision day’, weather or not you help in just engines removal, tear down, or more, this book has well photographed images for 7.3 and 6.0. If your considering re-powering either of the trucks/applications, the manual would be a help with just the partial and swap.

Along with the area specific tech tips and the ‘your there’ images, I found the book to be reasonably to well packed with information depending on topic. Everything I could think of ?, No, some minor helpful points were missed IMO but may be insignificant to some, but the book is a great resource for the bigger tasks involving working on both 7.3 and the 6.0 as well the smaller steps leading up. It does primarily cover rebuilding and a good portion of job tasks involved from removal to getting the mill back in place. But, the manual would be a good resource for unit repair like turbo R&R or injector/s, water pump,HPOP etc and the more common fails that just happen with age and mileage.

So, on or back to my Review and Thoughts as to my 0.02 on the value of the manuals content,,

The Workbench How-To is 128 pages (144 total which includes some performance tips/upgrades, engine specs, and even DTC/Fault Code definitions and causes where applicable)

Sections include, image illustrated Engine Removal, Disassembly, Reassembly, Installation, as well as Assembly/Break In.
Included in the manual is a section on Inspection/Machine Shop Work that would/should be done or expected during the overhaul with clear images of the base engine/s undergoing machine shop tasks. Milling, boring, surfacing, valve grind etc. and of course assembly.

A good picture is worth a thousand words, right?, and the Work Bench How-To series is packed with very clear images throughout. In fact, depending on which process your undergoing be it Assembly or ?, the manual has a host of ‘Icons’ during the specific scripted steps/pictures making you ‘early aware’ of any handy special Tech tips, Precise Torques, Critical Inspection area/s (!), and of course any Special Tool/s needed to get the job done. Always good to know. And of course,, Icon noted areas that need Documentation (or possibly your own images taken=good) of correct assembly and/or orientation etc so there’s no guessing later!

The WorkBench series manuals cover many other Makes/Models/Systems/Trans etc and I cant speak for the other manuals content, but reviewing the 7.3/6.0 Diesels coverage I thought it was laid out in a good ‘step’ order, addressing many tasks that may or can be confusing and covered to aid in most to all aspects of the task at hand so the get it right, the first time, keeping the blood pressure as low as possible.

Again,, at 128 pages, not the tell all be all of complete instructional materials, but well put together, informative and given the costs of some Shop Manuals (?), a deal IMO at less than a decent lunch or movie night out (26.95 listed) and certainly a lead in book, and/or good backup to other paper offerings, as well as online video support when undertaking an unknown. The manuals strong point was its clear imaging of work/steps being done, along with the scripted pointers, a good combo.

So,, as to the WorkBench How-To value? I thought for the amount of info provided, step images, it was well done and would be an asset to anyone’s library and/or willing to undergo the sizeable job to tackle the sophisticated PSD’s refreshing, partial repairs, or even a power plant swap ..

In the spirit this book was offered for this review, nor promoting it or any materials provider, and the sites guidelines for the enthusiast helping and sharing with one another, this book will be offered up to a 7.3/6.0 owner/member willing to use the book during overhaul, or in part during covered repair/rebuilding and willing to add to the review with their own experiences using the manual guides. Then, pass on to another member..
Other WorkBench offerings are through Cartechbooks.com

Contact me for details..

Attached Thumbnails WorkBench How-To Rebuild 7.3/6.0 Review!-64e61e1b-ea9c-4108-8ca0-8334ae110deb.jpeg   WorkBench How-To Rebuild 7.3/6.0 Review!-e27330f0-2dc8-4bde-8d9d-cacbfb1b3cbe.jpeg   WorkBench How-To Rebuild 7.3/6.0 Review!-fae6f389-cef7-47e3-a0ff-0322cb4f57dc.jpeg  

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-27-2017 at 05:29 PM.