Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Freestar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/)
-   -   2004 Brake Issues (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/2004-brake-issues-28740/)

viper29 12-14-2012 06:41 PM

2004 Brake Issues

We have an 2004 SES with a 3.8 with 139,000 mile. Do not like the brakes on this vehicle since we bought it used. They just fill way to soft and don't bite the way I think they ought to. I have replace the brake pads from everything from factory to ceramic, new rotors, master cylinder, bleed the brakes more times than I can count. Had it hook up to a computer and ABS cycled thought it may have an air lock and still will not bite strong, it stops but I think it needs something. Any ideas.
Thanks
Charlie

hanky 12-15-2012 10:00 AM

Have you had a chance to check put the power assist portions ?

viper29 12-16-2012 05:59 PM

How would you test it beside replacing it?
You can hold the brake pedal and I can fill the pedal slowly ease down. Could that be the booster going bad or already bad?

bluewind 12-16-2012 06:14 PM

What you describe is usually a sign of a bad mastercylinder but yours is new and deserves the benefit of doubt.
Bleeding procedure in the Windstar/Freestar can be very cumbersome. The haynes manual suggests to push the pedal like 25 times per wheel. You had it bled by a mechanic so I assume it was done right.
The only thing I can imagine now is that the calipers are getting weak. Do you loose any brake fluid at all?
In general brake systems are not that difficult. If every step has been done right you should have a proper working system.

Maybe you let a different mechanic have a look?

saltflat 12-17-2012 01:28 PM

my 04 se 3.9 has similar behavior as did my 95 windstar.the brake system is suboptimal in these vans.i dont have a solution.

bluewind 12-17-2012 02:46 PM

Thank you saltflat. My 03 Windstar give me decent brake performance and decent brake feel. But it is obvious that the vehicle is heavy. The pedal does not feel really hard but it does not give as much as viper29 experiences.
About a year ago there was a thread on a brake problem in truck. When they changed the master cylinder on that truck they should have bench-bled the new MC because it sits pointing up in the vehicle and would trap an air bubble. Hanky or Greasemark suggested to place the truck so that the master cylinder is level and then bleeding it again.
Another thing was the bleeding procedure when the ABS control unit was replaced or conceivably air got in there. That's when the Haynes manual asks for pumping the pedal at least 25x per wheel. The manual also says that if the results are insufficient a Ford dealer should do it while monitoring it with the diagnostic scanner.

There are kits available that allow you to push the brake fluid from the wheels back up into the reservoir. Meaning: it is a reverse flushing. It may be more effective in moving an air bubble out.

I hope you get it to work o.k. one way or the other.

viper29 12-17-2012 06:52 PM

I don't exactly know if the mechanic done it right. Another mechanic also mentioned about the Booster maybe bad, we bought the van used. I did not know about pumping the brakes 25 per wheel for bleeding. I've thought about replacing the booster and calipers just to see if that would help. I got a mechanic to hook up a computer and made the ABS manually bleed itself internal/ move the pistons inside just in case there was air trapped in it.

bluewind 12-17-2012 10:33 PM

Ask the mechanic if he was aware of that special procedure. I believe the haynes manual suggest this procedure because the home mechanic does not have the computer to make the ABS pump on its own. Still I would check back with the mechanic.
Considering the age and mileage of the vehicle it is possible that the calipers or booster are done. But at the calipers I would expect to see a leak. You should be able to pressure test or vacuum test the booster.

kmh3987 12-22-2012 11:10 AM

i have changed front pads on my 05 freestar and now i have no brake power while the van is on.....when off i have brake pressure? but we did notice that the brake cailper piston doesnt push back out to the pad when i push the pedal....thought maybe booster but there is still brake fluid coming out of valve like its supposed to so i didn't think the booster would be bad if the fluid was getting out? so now im at the cailper pistons may be bad? just dont know and would like to get fixed before christmas

hanky 12-22-2012 04:52 PM

If there is ANY question relating to the calipers, consider replacing them with rebuilt units. In the process of replacing the pads did you allow the calipers to hang by the hoses ? That's a NO NO. If so , suggest replacing the hoses too . It's a nice feeling to know the brakes will be there when you step on that pedal.