Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Freestar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/)
-   -   2004 Freestar, Driver Door Won't Open, URGENT please (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/2004-freestar-driver-door-wont-open-urgent-please-29922/)

No_Oneq 05-25-2013 04:14 PM

2004 Freestar, Driver Door Won't Open, URGENT please

2004 Ford Freestar, Driver Door won't open from either inside or outside handle. Locks move up and down with both remote and key but door won't open.
In a desperate situation and need help how to open this door ASAP please. Can't afford new/special tools or mechanic, on disability. Was told after I get it open (need help here ASAP please), then I just remove the panel (screws around the ends) and put a rod back in place and a clip back on the rod, sound right?

hanky 05-26-2013 04:11 AM

Since no one has responded, I'll take a shot at the problem.
My first move would be to get the window all the way down so you can see inside the door at the lock area. You might be able to see the area where the link became disconnected and either with a piece of metal coat hanger or a long thin screwdriver move the lever to release the lock. This could take several tries and you'll need a flashlight to see the lock assembly inside the door. Other than that, I do not know of an easy method to get the lock to release and allow the door to open.

grog11 05-26-2013 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This photo attached would be the lock assembly inside for reference.

hanky 05-26-2013 09:06 AM

Thanks for the pix.
I even had to study it for a while to figure out where I might try to release the lock assy.
If you have never worked on a door lock assembly , it will be tough to figure out where to try for a release of the locking assy.

No_Oneq 05-26-2013 09:26 AM

My mechanical knowledge is fairly basic and it's been a very long time since opening a door panel. Can you please confirm, is that pic the front driver door? And can you tell me what angle I'm looking from?

Thank you very much. I do appreciate it.

hanky 05-26-2013 02:44 PM

If your schedule and time permits, it's a lot of trouble, but you could always remove the passenger side front door interior covering and see exactly what you need to move in order to get the door open. I'm sure you know from past experience the mechanisms are the same except reversed. What do you think?

No_Oneq 05-26-2013 03:22 PM

That's a good idea really.. not surprised I didn't think of it, been really stressed...

I did finally get my bearings on the pic too (again, stressed/burnt, so it took a while), thank you again for the pic ...

I can see the bottom of the window at the top of the pic, so the vertical "silver" rod with the yellow clip attached to the black plastic box is the lock button & i'm guessing the power lock box, and the indented dish-shape on the top right is the outside handle... so now that I have my bearings on that, if neither handle will open the door even if the doors are unlocked:

First, which piece is likely off that I have to fish out to open the door?

Second, what's a better method, rolling the window down as mentioned above, or unscrewing the interior handle to try and get to whatever opens the door?

(hoping to avoid taking apart both doors, have a lot of pain issues, but still keeping it in mind)

Thank you very sincerely for your help with this.

bluewind 05-27-2013 11:14 AM

My 2 cents:

Ask around if someone (Locksmith? Police?) would slim-jim it open for you. You suffered long enough.
If slim jimming does not work, you could sacrifice the inner door panel and later replace it with one from the junk yard.

No_Oneq 05-27-2013 12:28 PM

Unfortunately, this is NY.. the police are the ones that broke the door, constant harassment due to my unfortunate situation (I have no photo proof, so IAD won't take the complaint), and no one will do anything without getting paid for it, not even the church will help (I'll already called and asked them if they knew anyone who could get the door open that might be willing to donate their services, explained my situation, and they said the only people they knew will still charge me).
:(
Don't have the strength to sacrifice the inner door panel (Fem w/pain issues) :(

So just doing the best I can on my own.