Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Freestar no start/radio in "on" position

Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Question Freestar no start/radio in "on" position

like an episode from the twilight zone, my sisters freestar mysteriously cuts itself off, and would on occasion, allow her to restart it. The other day, it completely died, no turn-over. The wierd thing is this : if you turn the key to "accessory" the radio works fine, info display works; in the "on" position, the info display and idiot lights come on, the radio only displays "blinking" discs representing the cd changer (that hasn't worked in years), but nothing else. Van won't turn over, radio doesn't work in "on". Radio works in "acc". If you jump the solenoid on the starter, with the key in "on", the van will turn-over, but will not start. We're thinking ign. switch, but before we remove airbags, etc. we want to make sure!

Last edited by mattsauto; 05-16-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM

BTW... it's an April, 2004 model. I plugged my scan tool in and the tool didn't couldn't scan because it couldn't tell the key was in the "on" position. I also noticed the idiot light with the picture of a gear with an exclamation point in the center was flashing. The info center, when asked to run diagnostics, displayed "Fuel Sys Comp Data Err" and "Charging Sys Data Err". All other systems checked out ok.

Last edited by mattsauto; 05-16-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: addendum