Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Freestar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/)
-   -   ! 2006 Freestar AdvanceTrac Issue ! (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/2006-freestar-advancetrac-issue-15109/)

BlackSton3 11-25-2008 07:50 PM

! 2006 Freestar AdvanceTrac Issue !

Hello all - new to forum. I have an11/05 build2006 Freestar SEL that also has the Trac issue. Van has 27K miles on it. This piece of crap almost costmy wife and two childrentheir lives this week when itstalled in an intersection during rush hour. Dry roads, no gravel but very cold outside. Needless to say I'm furious. [:@]

I've experienced the sameservice issueas many of you already have.Ibrought the van into Ford's Service Department several times and they cannot or will not fix the AdvanceTrac system. I don't know which is the actual case but I really don't care after this incident.

Can someone PLEASE tell me if there is a TSB regarding this issue, and if so please post the details of the TSB so I can make the appropriate arrangements with Ford to have this fixed?

I'm ready to throw a brick on the accelerator and launch this POSthrough the plate glass window at my local Ford dealership. Yes, I'm really that angry. [:@]

Hayapower 11-25-2008 10:23 PM

RE: ! 2006 Freestar AdvanceTrac Issue !

There is a TSB 07-10-11 in regards to the adavanced trac control for short duration 'nuisance' activactions.. No field service actions/recalls, or any other TSB's in regards to the trac control..

jr78 11-26-2008 01:15 AM

Stalling is most likely not related to the advance trac. What issue are you having with the advance trac system

tomb1269 11-26-2008 01:04 PM

Did it stall or activate Traction system............. The stall could be continued issues surrounding the TSB to resolve amoisture penatrating the ECU. The ABS activation TSB was also due to moisture penatration, just no sure if it was ECU or ABS controller. FYI, moisture getting in toECU, cold morning, warm up engine, condensation in ECU, my understanding is it is mounted in the fire wall under the cowl.

Hayapower 11-26-2008 03:22 PM

Here's the TSB in short for water/moisture entering the PCM/PCM connector..

TSB
06-14-10

FORD:

1999-2003 Windstar
2004-2007 Freestar

MERCURY:

2004-2007 Monterey
This article supersedes TSB 05-23-7 to update the Service Procedure and model years.
ISSUE:
Some 1999-2003 Windstar and 2004-2007 Freestar / Monterey vehicles built prior to 6/22/2006 may exhibit engine / transmission driveability issues due to water entering the powertrain control module (PCM) or transaxle vent. Symptoms may include various diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), harsh or delayed transmission shifts / engagements, no reverse engagement, engine overheat, engine lean condition causing a misfire (possibly leading to melted electrodes on the spark plugs), and rough idle. The water leakage may be due to the PCM connector cover not seating completely and water leaking down from the cowl panel grille (cowl top vent panel) area.

tomb1269 11-26-2008 09:25 PM

I have an 06 Freestar, in August 2007 I was driving moderate rain (highway speeds as well as stop and go), rain stopped, I stopped for coffee. Restarted van, pulled out of parking lot, came to stop in less than 100 feet and proceeded to accelerate thru intersection when traction system engaged and would not allow vehical to go over 20mph, almost felt as if it were stalling, however I was driving and could see the traction light engaging. The repairs, wereTSB's IMRC runner CNTRL module checked, TSB 07-14-1 reseal PCM and cowl completed, and the replacement of "Control" Ford Part # 6F2Z-2C219-BD. If you had a similar response or response may want to have this check.

BlackSton3 11-30-2008 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: jr78

Stalling is most likely not related to the advance trac. What issue are you having with the advance trac system
I'm convinced it is related to AdvanceTrac system. Symptoms are as follows: (1) Start engine (2) Proceed to drive van (3) In about two minutes AdvanceTrac indicator lamp on dash turns on -roads are straight, smooth, clear and dry (4) Button for AdvanceTrac on dash will not turn system off - lamp stays illuminated. At this point I'm not sure if the AdvanceTrac system is actually engaged or not, but the light does stay on.

When this happens there are two additional symptoms.

(1) Stalling, which I previously mentioned. When this occurs the engine acts as if it's running out of fuel AND the AdvanceTrac indicator lamp in the dash blinks furiously as if the system is trying to do something.

(2) Not nearly as big a deal, but the cruise control no longer functions. If I switch the systemon andthen attemptto set a cruise speed the green dash indicator blinks once quickly then goes out without setting a cruising speed. If I'm persistent about setting a speed sometimes it will engage after about the 10th or 15th try. After engaging, however it may turn off without me touching the brake or steering wheel controls.

The van has been doing this since we first bought it. I'd say the first symptoms began around 3,000-5,000 miles from new.

Cold weather definitelycauses this to happen more, usually temps below 40 degrees F. It rarely (if ever) happens in Summer when temps are consistently above 70 degrees F.

BlackSton3 11-30-2008 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: tomb1269

Did it stall or activate Traction system............. The stall could be continued issues surrounding the TSB to resolve amoisture penatrating the ECU. The ABS activation TSB was also due to moisture penatration, just no sure if it was ECU or ABS controller. FYI, moisture getting in toECU, cold morning, warm up engine, condensation in ECU, my understanding is it is mounted in the fire wall under the cowl.
Sounds reasonable. I'm a DIY kind of guy and don't like to let anyone turn wrenches on my vehicles if I can do it myself.

Is there any diagram and/or instruction for exactly where the Freestar ECU is and best way to access thispart? I remember removing the plastic cowl below the wipers on my '96 Windstar to change the rear plugs and assume the same will apply here with my Freestar in order to get to the firewall.

Thanks in advance

tomb1269 12-01-2008 12:39 PM

Technically it is not stalling, the sympton you are referencing sounds like the traction systems high speed engeagement, in which the power in the motor is reduced by the traction system.

BlackSton3 12-10-2008 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: BlackSton3

ORIGINAL: tomb1269

Sounds reasonable. I'm a DIY kind of guy and don't like to let anyone turn wrenches on my vehicles if I can do it myself.

Is there any diagram and/or instruction for exactly where the Freestar ECU is and best way to access thispart? I remember removing the plastic cowl below the wipers on my '96 Windstar to change the rear plugs and assume the same will apply here with my Freestar in order to get to the firewall.

Thanks in advance
...BUMP...

Anyone know what needs to be done for me to find the location of my ECU and check/clean/reseal it?