Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Freestar - swap engine and tranny into Windstar

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Default Freestar - swap engine and tranny into Windstar

This is my first thread and I know the aswer to my Question, but....

(Sorry for my bad english - I´m from germany)

The story is - I bought an 1998 windstar 3.8 - in terrible conditions. The key´s were lost, the transmission broken to pieces, and the body was in a bad shape, but without rust. I noticed the car standing by the streets about two jears. Even by the yellow marking lampscolor it was certainly an "import". One difference tu europeen version - europeen windstars have an airspringsystem on the rear axle. Because of that, I never looked imports.
But than an accident happend to my 3l 1996 an I startet to find an other. All were rusted completly. Technik can be fixed, but an rustet car - please NOT !

So one day I lokked @ the 3.8 - it was a limited with airspringsystem. Withoot key´s and broken transmission, the owner was glad to get some bucks - and ist was mine.

I fixed the tranny (I did it several times bevor) , bought a completly rustet 3l windstar, changed the interior and fixed the body. When I looked into the motor (remove the lower intake), it was comletely coked. I tried to clean the surfaces as good as possible. In the opend the Oil filter were chips from the motorbearings. So I know from the beginning - the engine will fail !
This was a couple of jears ago.

The windstar worked fine - about 100tkm ~ 60tm...
Althogh it was really an other mailfunction, I startet to rebuild the engine. In fakt, the petrol pressure regeulator had an leakage an the combustionchambers wer filled - anyway

The rebuild engine works. New: crank, cam, piston/bored, oilpump, SKN, bearings, waterpump and so on...
It runs fine, but ther seems to be a problem with the oil consumption and the engine runs rough in Idle. I belive, there is a problem with the rings - so it is DEAD - i won´t do it again.

I bouhgt an 2006 Ford Windstar - technical in an perfekt shape. This means - 32tkm - evereything works like new - NICE. The motor sounds lovely and the transmission works great - impressive difference against AX4S.

I like my 1998 windstar and it will be not complicated to move the 4.2 engine into it, but...
The answer ist NO - the 2006 4.2l Freestar AX4N transmission does not fit into an 1998 3.8l Windstar

My question - I ´m sure not to be sure: May it be possible, to swap the engine together with the transmission from the 2006 Freestar into my Windstar
It will fit mechanical - I can solve that.

But what about the PCM
My decision: a PCM without PATS that can handle an AX4N with an 3.8/4.2 in an Windstar - it is a little exotic.

Is there any way to handle that ?