Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Heather not heating

Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 PM
Default Heather not heating

Hi.
Ford freestar 2004. 150000 miles
My heater doesn't heat. If I set the heat to max, it will just be less cold. Once on the highway, the heat will go up to "kinda warm". Coolant level is fine and there is no smell.
Any idea what's wrong?
Thanks

Old 10-31-2018, 09:39 AM
Default P.S.

Originally Posted by Christian Butter Poulin
Hi.
Ford freestar 2004. 150000 miles
My heater doesn't heat. If I set the heat to max, it will just be less cold. Once on the highway, the heat will go up to "kinda warm". Coolant level is fine and there is no smell.
Any idea what's wrong?
Thanks
Samething for rear heating

Old 11-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Christian Butter Poulin
Samething for rear heating
Well I was going to suggest that the climate control mixing valve was dead but if it's both then I'd guess that the heater core has a valve to either allow coolant to pass through the heater core or bypass it. Either that or the heater core is clogged with debris of some kind

Old 11-02-2018, 01:18 PM

What if we looked at it this way,

After running the engine for about 10 minutes, go and feel the two heater hoses under the hood.
If both are cool or slightly warm there is a good possibility the thermostat is in the stuck open position and removal would confirm this and replacement is required.
If one hose is pretty warm and the other is cold, there is a good possibility there is a restriction in the heater core .
If both hoses are hot there is a good possibility the blend door is stuck not allowing the air to get warmed up and be directed to the inside of the vehicle.
One last thing, depending on where you park the vehicle like, under the trees lot, debris can get into the area inside the heater box and block heated air from getting into the vehicle.
Not sure if your vehicle has a cabin air filter, but if it has never been replaced , good thing to do right before winter.

The thermostat is the first thing I would check.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
What if we looked at it this way,

After running the engine for about 10 minutes, go and feel the two heater hoses under the hood.
If both are cool or slightly warm there is a good possibility the thermostat is in the stuck open position and removal would confirm this and replacement is required.
If one hose is pretty warm and the other is cold, there is a good possibility there is a restriction in the heater core .
If both hoses are hot there is a good possibility the blend door is stuck not allowing the air to get warmed up and be directed to the inside of the vehicle.
One last thing, depending on where you park the vehicle like, under the trees lot, debris can get into the area inside the heater box and block heated air from getting into the vehicle.
Not sure if your vehicle has a cabin air filter, but if it has never been replaced , good thing to do right before winter.

The thermostat is the first thing I would check.
One hot hose, one cold hose. Having the system flushed and changer the Filter. Should solve the problem. Thanks