Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Recurring troubles with window

Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 PM
M&G
Default Recurring troubles with window

Here is the condensed history---
May 2014, had RF window motor replaced by local Ford Co.
April 2015, both front windows were intermittently failing to work, took van in for a separate problem but mentioned the window problem, mechanic tried but was unable to get trouble to replicate.
December, 2015, since April, both windows have worked, stopped, worked again, and now stopped once more-- simultaneously. Took van in to Ford, explaining- in depth- the problem. They told us that BOTH motors needed to be replaced (we told them that it seemed very strange that BOTH motors quick simultaneously, especially after having worked intermittently, etc)... They replaced the Right side under warranty, and we paid for the Left side motor.
September, 2017--- Right side window has quit working AGAIN! Took in to Ford, thinking that it would still be under warranty. Mechanic got window to work, but says that we need the "Regulator and Motor Assembly", at an estimated cost of $384. I asked about it being under warranty, but was told that the part "is separate from the window motor", so not covered under warranty. I then, specifically asked "Is the motor a *part* of the assembly, and was told "NO", it was a completely different part, due to it having a different part number.

I've tried to research online, and it appears that the assembly does include the motor...? Am I wrong? I just wonder if Ford is trying to get out of covering this under warranty... I intend to call them with a few questions-- for one, how did they get the window to start working again, and yet still advise that it needs this expensive repair...

Also, does $384 seem in range for the repair? I have used this Ford dealer for MANY repairs over the recent years, and every time, I think "WHY am I sticking with these guys!?" They are VERY rude and act as though their customers are a total inconvenience, rather than appreciated... I've made appointments, only to arrive and be told that I should come back another day, etc... The only reason I went back this time, was because I expected the repair to be under warranty.

Any advice would surely be welcome.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:19 PM

This is not necessarily advice, merely an opinion.
I have seen and even been part of situations where a box of donuts went a long way with a service dept. You shouldn't have to do this, but when all else fails drastic measures might be necessary, "The donuts" ! It doesn't always work, but Somehow the atmosphere seems to change when a token of appreciation is put forth. It may cost 5-10.00 , but somehow it is difficult to refuse an understanding customer. It is extremely annoying to have to keep returning for the same problem, but today vehicles are quite complicated and return visits are getting more common , especially the intermittent ones. You can bet the tech is no more pleased than you when you return with the same supposedly corrected problem.
Of course there is always the other option, find another shop or dealership.
Only an opinion.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 PM
M&G

I surely wish that a "box of donuts" would work! :-) But if you knew the way they have treated their customers lately, you would know that's not the case. Definitely time to find a new dealer...

Old 09-29-2017, 04:42 PM

When my windows stop working I just remove the door panel and hit the engine, and works again for a month or so...

Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by M&G
Here is the condensed history---
May 2014, had RF window motor replaced by local Ford Co.
April 2015, both front windows were intermittently failing to work, took van in for a separate problem but mentioned the window problem, mechanic tried but was unable to get trouble to replicate.
December, 2015, since April, both windows have worked, stopped, worked again, and now stopped once more-- simultaneously. Took van in to Ford, explaining- in depth- the problem. They told us that BOTH motors needed to be replaced (we told them that it seemed very strange that BOTH motors quick simultaneously, especially after having worked intermittently, etc)... They replaced the Right side under warranty, and we paid for the Left side motor.
September, 2017--- Right side window has quit working AGAIN! Took in to Ford, thinking that it would still be under warranty. Mechanic got window to work, but says that we need the "Regulator and Motor Assembly", at an estimated cost of $384. I asked about it being under warranty, but was told that the part "is separate from the window motor", so not covered under warranty. I then, specifically asked "Is the motor a *part* of the assembly, and was told "NO", it was a completely different part, due to it having a different part number.

I've tried to research online, and it appears that the assembly does include the motor...? Am I wrong? I just wonder if Ford is trying to get out of covering this under warranty... I intend to call them with a few questions-- for one, how did they get the window to start working again, and yet still advise that it needs this expensive repair...

Also, does $384 seem in range for the repair? I have used this Ford dealer for MANY repairs over the recent years, and every time, I think "WHY am I sticking with these guys!?" They are VERY rude and act as though their customers are a total inconvenience, rather than appreciated... I've made appointments, only to arrive and be told that I should come back another day, etc... The only reason I went back this time, was because I expected the repair to be under warranty.

Any advice would surely be welcome.
I would look at the power window switch pad, it is easy to remove and can cause weird issues as does the power mirror switch. I had similar problems and a new(pulled) switch cured them. Now, if the window is stuck in the up position it may be stuck to the rubber gasket at the top. Cool water and some wiggling usually makes it loose enough for the weak motors to work.