Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Stepwell light issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Default Stepwell light issues

So I have a unique problem here. My stepwell lights in my 2004 freestar are suddenly staying on 24/7. All of my other interior lighting turns on and,off as it should. But the stepwell lamps continue to stay on. I had to pull the fuse tonight, so as mot to have my battery drain again like last night. But since all of the other interior lighting, and other accessories use this same fuse, I will be forced to reinstall and uninstall this fuse when parking overnight. Its going to be a long winter taking that extra step in the mornings.
If I go ahead and pull the bulbs in the drivers and rear stepwell lamps, will that keep my battery from draining? Or Will power continue to trickle out, even with the lamps pulled. I hope someone out there has had this experience, and knows somthing I don't. I am a decent mechanic, but cant ger my,head around this one. Could these lamps be on the same fuse, but utilize a seperate door switch from the orher interior lamps? Thats the only other logical explanation I can come up with. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, d

Old 10-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site.

Likely an issue inside the SJB. The SBJ does switching for the courtesy lamps On/Off, the footwells being one of the features. Although they look to be under individual R/L control..
If all the other lamps like sliding door entry, ext rear view work as they should, possibly a failure on the low current board within the SBJ. Not necessarily being commanded or powered On, just that the circuit is closed/active..
H/L switch input as well as door ajar should affect mutiple coutesy lamp functions.
You might try and unplug the footwells or remove the bulbs. Could also install a meter inline on the batt ground, waiting and making sure all the mods are offline and check the system draw. Anything significant or active, would show up there.

Last edited by Hayapower; 10-23-2018 at 12:14 PM.