Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Freestar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/)
-   -   tranny recall (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/tranny-recall-26170/)

Boomerang53 02-20-2012 11:54 AM

Transmission design

The age of the design doesn't bother me so much as the lack of quality control. With the average highway speed (at least in the Southwestern states) approaching 80 MPH, quality control in the manufacture of parts becomes extremely important. Ford dropped the ball on this one.

cjhutchy 02-21-2012 06:04 AM

Kwakman - I'm not sure what ill do, the only thing weird my tranny does is when dropping in reverse it takes a couple seconds to engage, like a double click. Take off is smooth, even coming to a stop fast there is no harsh down shift like my Taurus did.

Who knows what will happen, guess if it goes in it gets a free flush doesn't it by replacing the torque converter?

Question is how long this will take when the vans go in? a day? 2 days? is ford supplying a rental or something?

In any case i love my van!! she's still rock solid!!!

Kwakman 02-22-2012 06:49 AM

CJ - My van does the same thing when going into reverse, so it may be par for the course. Like you I'm was thinking the same thing concerning getting a free tranny oil change if I went in. I think it had one done at around 90K Km and now I'm just shy of 190K Km so I guess you can say she is due. Anyways it won't get done till after April if it does.

And to answer your question about if Ford would pay for a rental, it's big Corp. USA they don't do rentals. Says so in their mission statement. ;)

Use Common Sense 02-22-2012 12:09 PM

My reverse has had the delay engagement since about day-one, but it's not alwyas there. I just make sure that I'm at a complete stop before shifting between D-R or R-D. If you have a decent Dealership and you take your van in during a slow business period to have the recall performed, they normally will provide you a LOANER car to use. Heck, even our Boondock-Country-Bumkin' dealership will provide a loaner if one is available. It's a stange concept in todays times, but they call it "Quality Customer Service".

dimasp28 02-25-2012 07:20 AM

If I a plug a code reader to my van, which code should be related to this problem? I did this two or three months ago and it shows something like "2nd shift high press. solenoid". The problem that mine shows (95 Freestar) is in a stop and go conditions, it doesn't shift the way it should be so I have to play with the gas pedal until the gears change; if I'm going at highway speed doesn't shows any problem

gck1973 02-25-2012 09:12 AM

For me the million dollar question or in my case the 3800.00 question is, will Ford reimburse the people who have paid for this repair already. I had 37000 miles on my 2004 Freestar and they would not share any of the expense.

Kwakman 02-26-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by gck1973 (Post 69280)
For me the million dollar question or in my case the 3800.00 question is, will Ford reimburse the people who have paid for this repair already. I had 37000 miles on my 2004 Freestar and they would not share any of the expense.

If the repair is related directly to the torque converter and you still have all the work orders and invoices then by law yes they will have to reimburse you. But this will be done by Ford and not the Ford dealer. And again only if the work was concerning the torque converter, any other work transmission or not will more then likely get rejected.

Call Ford's customer service number and they should provide you with the details on how to move forward with the reimbursement request.

Good luck,

Stef

dimasp28 03-10-2012 10:22 AM

trans. issues / codes

1 Attachment(s)
I own a 2005 freestar and I attach the codes I got fom my mech code reader, are this codes related to the torque converter recall ???
THANKS
Dimasp28

gck1973 03-11-2012 11:09 AM

recall reimbursment

Hi all, just got an e-mail from Ford, they will be reimbursing the people who already paid for this repair. I have to wait until April when the program starts but 3800 is worth waiting for.

F250blues 03-20-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kwakman (Post 69141)
Just to answer a very valid question, yes the recall is for all US / Canadian Ford Freestars. ALL Freestars from 2004-2007 were assembled in the Oakville Ontario plant with the transmission produced at the Van Dyke Transmission plant in Sterling Heights Michigan, so all North American sold Freestars of the specified years are included in this recall.

Cj - I have the same year, with nearly the same kilometrage (haha metric conversion of milage) and mine still shifts fine too.

Now the million dollar question, to change or not to change? What are you going to do?

They all shift fine, mine went out at 94, 000 miles while my wife was pulling onto the freeway. No warning signs just let loose. Get it fixed. $2200 for me.