Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Freestyle (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestyle-71/)
-   -   2005 Ford Freestyle Cluster issue (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestyle-71/2005-ford-freestyle-cluster-issue-34049/)

Jd1amond2 01-27-2016 11:44 AM

2005 Ford Freestyle Cluster issue

Since the weather has changed in Ohio, my Cluster has decided to fail.

Cant tell how Fast im going, or how much gas I have. As a result, my reverse lights stay on as well.

When my car is driven for 30 mins or more, sometimes the Gas Gauge and Speedometer will work, and reverse lights will work properly.

Help?

LakelandFordParts 01-27-2016 01:57 PM

It sounds like your going to need a new cluster... or you have an electrical issue, likely in the harness. Before you start buying parts I would have the vehicle diagnosed to be sure of the problem. If you would like me to find the right cluster for your vehicle I would be happy to, just PM your VIN.

mrwhizard 02-21-2016 08:31 AM

Instrument Cluster Repair

Common problem with these clusters. They can be repaired here: Speedometer Repair | Instrument Cluster Repair | Odometer Repair | Mr. Whizard

LakelandFordParts 02-25-2016 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jd1amond2 (Post 95600)
Since the weather has changed in Ohio, my Cluster has decided to fail.

Cant tell how Fast im going, or how much gas I have. As a result, my reverse lights stay on as well.

When my car is driven for 30 mins or more, sometimes the Gas Gauge and Speedometer will work, and reverse lights will work properly.

Help?

Sometimes a new cluster can be cheaper or the same price as a repair and a new cluster comes with the Ford warranty. If you can send me your VIN I would be happy to find the correct part and get you an exact price.

Turtlefoot 03-02-2016 04:49 PM

Cluster panel or NOT

Feel your pain: I had a total of 3 'new' cluster panels put into my 2005 Freestyle before the real problem was finally diagnosed. Vehicle was perfect until the weather got very humid/wet, then w/o warning total insanity with the cluster all lighting up, going into limp mode, etc..a thousand miles from home the first time. Three dealers, two states, $$$, but loved this vehicle otherwise. Two days ago problem was found when the vehicle was not 'dried out' for an extended time and the original dealer had time to find the issue. Not the cluster itself; it had a water leak of some sort (possibly sunroof), running down under/behind the kick panel on the left side, corroding a fitting in the wiring harness. (We'd long since figured out it was somewhere in the wiring but when it dried out, ran fine so until it stayed wet long enough for the corroded fitting to not dry out and shake itself loose, couldn't find the problem.) Dealer cleaned the fitting, plugged it back together and voila, everything is perfect. They protected the area from moisture. After he told me this today, I recalled having the car drip water onto me once and I could not figure out where it had come from but did find a wet spot on the floor carpet. I'd totally forgotten that incident until he told me his discovery today! This Freestyle was the greatest vehicle I've ever driven and would certainly still have it if they'd been able to diagnose this sooner before my paranoia made me trade it back to the seller on a newer/different (Taurus). It did throw codes that related to a service bulletin sometimes that indicated an issue with the cluster but it was not the problem!

hanky 03-03-2016 07:02 AM

Thanks for sharing that info with us.
Many times what appears to be a component failure is not. Connection problems can take quite a bit of time and trouble to pin down, but persistence and conditions can help locate the problem and there are times when patience and $$$$ run out and the vehicle gets traded and now it becomes the new owner's problem.

Turtlefoot 03-03-2016 08:38 AM

@hanky I'm fortunate enough to have a dealer (one of those hometown small dealerships closed by Ford some years back) who remained in business as a private garage-and-parts place, focusing (no pun intended) on Ford products, keeps up to date mechanically. He's one of the too-rare breed who would not just take such a vehicle to auction. He kept it until he diagnosed the problem; his wife is now driving it and very happy to do so.

LakelandFordParts 03-03-2016 12:46 PM

It is a shame that there aren't more folks out there like that. Hopefully the OP comes back and sees your suggestion.