Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Freestyle (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestyle-71/)
-   -   Diagnostic Code P2106 Help?? (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestyle-71/diagnostic-code-p2106-help-13830/)

mbozant 07-28-2008 08:05 AM

Diagnostic Code P2106 Help??

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle and this weekend it started acting up...when we go into reverse it dies and then when we are driving forward we can have the pedal all the way to the ground and it still just creaps. We took it to Auto Zone and put it on a diagnostic machine and it gave it error code P2106. I am finding that is the Throttle Position Sensor. Does anyone know how to replace that and how hard that would be?
My husband is not too machanically inclined but we can not afford to take it to the mechanic. Help with this would be wonderful! Thanks a billion!

techford 11-29-2008 05:45 PM

RE: Diagnostic Code P2106 Help??

Hi, DON'T REPLACE IT. This code is usually set with another code. P2106 means that your throttle actuator control (understand here the hole gas pedal assembly) is in safe mode. I really really doubt this is the real problem. You better pay to have it check and not only scan for code. A code stored in the memory of the computer is not directly related to a broken part. So, if you don't want to waste your money you better pay to for the diagnostic then replace the defective part by yourself.

Nic.

njetermcintyre 05-09-2009 05:59 PM

2006 ford fresstyle with same problem

Hey, I have a 2006 ford freestyle with the same problem only I have two coeds coming out. One is P061B and the other is P2106. Can you tell me what you did not fix the problem you were having. My car have been doing this for about a week now. Let me know what you did. Thanks

Ragtopmann 07-15-2009 12:10 PM

Freestyle Throttle Body code P2106 and P061B

My Freestyle reported these exact same codes and the problems were the same as listed above. This is caused by the Throttle Body getting clogged with carbon. If caught early enough you can fix the issue very cheap. First of all, the dealershipwanted to replace the Throttle body for an estimated charge of $600 ($350 parts + labor) I spoke to a mechanic and he gave me 2 other options. Luckily the first worked and only cost me $5 bucks!
Option 1: I bought the Lucas Fuel additive cleaner. Dumped it in my fuel tank. Drove my freestyle, while in LIMP mode for 50 miles on the freeway with cruise control set at 70 mph. (just because) Turned off the car and let sit for about 10 minutes. Restarted the car and the engine light was off and the car was running perfect! No more codes, no limp mode. I'm not saying this is a perm fix but it certainly did the trick for now. The cause is from buying cheap gas at Kroger, Walmart and mom and pop corner stores. There are no cleaners or additives in that brand of gasoline. Eventually the throttle body will get clogged if you use that type of gas for the freestyle.
Option 2: take off the air filter attachment that leads to the throttle body, get some throttle body cleaner and a wire pipe cleaner and clean it out the best you can. (I'll be doing this project this weekend) That should fix the problem. Good luck to all.
Option 3 $$$: pay to have the throttle body replaced or buy the part and replace it yourself. Very easy to get too being right on top of the engine connected to the air filter.

FFreestyle 07-07-2010 09:32 PM

P061b

Only had code P061b but restarting the car after it was set cleared the light and got it out of limp mode, I did not do any thing to stop the erratic idle I felt at the time code was set. :confused: I hope your right ragtopman Im going to clean the throttle body add some additive and see if problem occurs. Only had one other instance when car idle felt erratic, car lurched forward, and almost died off all while at stop in drive. Code was not set and no light had nothing to go buy. Everything ive seen leads to TB or pedal position or throttle position sensors but does sound like somewhat of a quirky problem I will experiment and ask around and will check back in please do the same.:confused:

FFreestyle 07-07-2010 09:39 PM

WHAT OTHER CODE AND WHAT DOES THAT WHAT MEAN (P061B?),(TB ?)Thank you in advance!

hanky 07-09-2010 04:37 PM

I believe there is a mistake with the P061B code. Nothing like that listed in my reference material. Can you verify code is correct? hanky

hanky 07-09-2010 05:44 PM

I did a little checking and found that one of the previous posts was good advice. Cleaning the entrance to the throttle body seems to have helped quite a few people with the surging in reverse with the A/C on. It certainly is worth a try to remove the air intake tube coming from the air filter assembly to the throttle body and using a clean soft rag and cleaning the carbon/dirt out of the passage. This is easier accomplished while holding the throttle to the floor and cleaning the throttle blade and passage . There is a throttle body cleaner, but some auto manufacturers don't recommend you use them on certain throttle bodys. It's suprising how much crud you can wipe out of there with just a rag. Be sure to clean the throttle blade also.
Let us know if this helps solve your problem. Thanks, hanky

starr2199j 07-25-2010 01:43 PM

I have the same problem. the car lunges then cuts off. Now engine lights on. Same codes P061B (internal control mod torque calculation performance) and P2106 (tac system forced limited power). Ford needs to do something about this!!!!!

chad coggins 08-02-2010 08:44 AM

freestyle question

does freestyle have air injector valves