Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

2016 Fusion - battery being drained

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Angry 2016 Fusion - battery being drained

Sonething is causing the battery in my 2016 Fusion. I read somewhere about issues with the ACM and the CD player continually ejecting causing the drain but that's not it. Took it to the local dealership and they did nothing but check the battery and inform me it was low. We were going to jump it but something is ticking under the hood indicating something is happening even though the car is off. I have another appointment in a week with the dealership. Any one else have this issue or any ideas as I want to go into the dealerhship fully prepared. Thank you!

Old 11-02-2017, 11:50 AM

Hi Lisa,
There are quite a bit of electronics in today's vehicles and to pinpoint the exact cause of a battery drain usually takes some time and special testing. Did you get a report of what the dealership did/checked ? There should be more info on what if anything they might have found.
The clicking you hear can be a possible tip off of where or what is happening . It is not usually possible to diagnose problems like this from a distance and most of the time it requires some special equipment and info to determine the exact cause.
Sometimes removing the fuses one at a time will help point in a direction if the clicking stops when that particular fuse is removed that is supplying power to that particular circuit. There are other more specialized tools and methods to determine the cause. Have any add on items been installed on the vehicle other than what it came with from the factory? Sometimes these things can create problems.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:09 PM

Thanks Hanky. My dealership was pretty lame. Initial visit, they determined battery was low (big discovery there!) and they charged it. 5 days later, battery was completely dead and I demanded they actually look for WHY it was being drained. They couldn't determine why so they replaced the batter. Now about 9 days later, I'm still having issues. When I select a different memory seating on the seat/mirrors, one of the mirrors continues to move back and forth. At times, the dash lights stay on for an extended period of time and often the auto dimming on the headlights doesn't work. There hasn't been anything added to the car and I'm stumped. I'll be back in the dealership on Monday morning.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:54 AM

There are many "Modules" that are part of a network on the vehicle. When one of these modules decides to act up aside from normal operation things start going wrong. Most of them go to sleep after the key is turned off. Rest mode and current drain goes down to a very low level in sleep mode, but if one is awakened for some reason it can cause the network to be ready to function and now current is consumed in the process thereby causing a battery drain. These modules control many functions ,lights, body features like wipers, door locks, mirrors etc. It generally requires a capable scan tool to access the system and see what is going on. This can take some time , so be a little prepared to allow this time to determine the cause. All the electronic features are great , when they work as designed, but can become troublesome when they don't work as designed. Things like not working at all to working when they are not supposed to including causing other crazy things to take place. The dealership should have the equipment and someone trained to locate and correct the problem in the vehicle. Don't be afraid to ask questions , most of the time the tech is usually willing to explain what is happening . Let us know how you make out with this, thanks.