Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

Battery

Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Default Battery

It's me again
my battery "clunked" out on me for the 2nd time this month. first time we gave it a jump...let the car run for 30 mins and it held a charge...this evening same thing...is there something draining my battery? i haven't driven my car for 3 days and all of sudden it doesnt start? any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM

There is a little bit more info needed to offer a somewhat intelligent answer.
How old is the battery?
The year and model of the vehicle would help.
Did you get any indication of a charging problem like alt/ batt lite on?
Are the battery cables where connected to the battery free of corrosion?
What transpired between when you charged it and the this evening thing?
Are you located where the temperature has gone down below freezing?
It could just be the battery is tired and in need of being replaced.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Hey Hanky, hope all is well....

I've had the battery since 2008. The exact same thing happened back in 2008 shortly after I purchased the car in March 2007 -
I have a 2006 ford fusion and so far the only issue i've had since the purchase is the battery. If i end up having to get another one - it will be the 3rd one since purchase.
No alt/battery light on.
Haven't checked the cables for corrosion...yet.
Nothing transpired, but my usual routine of driving to and from the train station to get to work then home. Actually, the battery died at the train station the last time. All I wanted to do is get home.
This weekend i didn't have to use my car.
The weather has been up and down but not below freezing. We had 60 degree weather just a week ago...yikes!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Something to think about. How far do you drive from home to the train station? Is it always dark and headlights always on . Is the vehicle being driven enough to charge the battery Short trips with good load on the battery will eventually run it down.
Also have you had the charging system checked? The charge lite will go out as long as the system is charging, but it could insufficient to maintain a fully charged battery.
If the alternator is putting out 10 amps and the and the car is using more than 10 the light will not show that.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Another point: is the replacement battery an OEM Motorcraft? (Not very good) Or is the new battery a better quality model with a long warranty and a few extra CCAs?

You could also check for a slow voltage drain.

My Windstar made some trouble. I have now turned off the interior lights and turn them only on when I need them. In on-mode they would be lit for some extra time after leaving the car. My battery is now always charged.

I rarely use the rear defroster. But I do use the power sliding doors.

Extra stereo amplifiers are a huge drain as well.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Hey
Thanks so much for all the input. I've learned some things and have some "homework" to do. I think I'm going to purchase and replace the battery. Any suggestions on a good quality battery?

Last time the charging system was checked specifically was 4/2008, when the first incident happened..it was found that the battery tested 12.33v and the system output was 14.1v ( i have a nice little paper trail on this..lol) . I think i'm going to have the rear view camera (that was installed at time of purchase) removed, as this may adversely affect battery performance.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 PM

The readings you received at the time the charging system was "checked' are to me, insufficient. If all the accessories were off and the readings were taken everything looks good , but we don't know how much the charging system is capable of putting out unless the system is loaded and the alternator output is now measured.
If the system was tested with a load (a/c, high beam, blower motor on high and wipers on) and the system was able to maintain 14 volts, then that's OK.
It could be as you suspect, related to the quality of the battery. If you have no starting problems with the exception of a few years use then it is a good possibility the battery quality is causing the problem. Where are you getting the batteries and what brand have you been getting?
You can get good and bad batteries even at Walmart. If possible consider the largest battery that will fit in your car and the length of the warranty. Sometimes a battery purchased locally with a good warranty is easier to have replaced if necessary, than chasing down to the place a good distance away because of the lowest price.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM

"....If possible consider the largest battery that will fit in your car and the length of the warranty."

I think the physical size is not truly an important criterium. It must fit on the tray. Further I insist on a good lenghty warranty and cold cranking amps (CCA) that exceed OEM requirements by a good stretch. I avoid paying extra bucks for a hyped up thing like "DieHard whatever". I purchased 2 batteries (for 2 cars) at O'Reilly's and they work fine.
Make it a habit to load test your battery before every winter as Hanky described it. That way you catch a waning battery before the alternator gets to work overtime.
If the original tray has any insulation material don't loose it. If it is lost use some styrofoam to make up for it. The insulation is needed to protect the battery from engine heat under extreme conditions. In very cold climates insulation can help the battery to gain proper operating temperature. Remember there is a chemical reaction going on which slows down when temperatures drop. Luckily the resistance in the wires drops as well.

Last edited by bluewind; 12-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Thanks guys.

The only internal problem I've with the car is the battery. The original and replacement battery was installed by a ford dealer. And the battery is labeled a Ford BXT-40 -R battery with a warranty, but I do not know what the warranty is...guess i will call Ford and ask.

After installing the new battery is there anything I need to do? The manuel says I have to allow the engine to relearn it's idle and fuel trim strategy, i have to follow several steps to acheive this task....sigh

Old 12-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Once the new battery is installed , take the car for a ride including a little highway and local driving and it will adapt itself. Not to worry if you don't meet all the terms today , tomorrow is another day. No big deal, you will maybe notice some unusual goings on and maybe not. Every time you start it and go somewhere it will get progressively better.
Have a Happy New Year !