Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Performance (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-performance-45/)
-   -   351c camshaft (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-performance-45/351c-camshaft-28028/)

magoos38 09-15-2012 09:50 PM

351c camshaft

Hi I have a 38 Ford with a 351c, my water pump went out.
Have to replace front cover too. While I'm there I want to
put a camshaft in it. I need help picking one out.
351c with 2bl heads with 4bl intake with headers. Thanks

thexlo8ers 09-15-2012 11:58 PM

Steet, strip or both?
Automatic or manual?
Are those Aussie heads?
Stock, dual plenum, or spread bore?
Carb' CFM?
Rear gear ratio?
Vehicle weight?
Power brakes?
Short or long tube collectors?

If for street, is it rual straght-a-ways, curves and hills, or urban neighborhoods, and/or stop and go traffic?

Ever replace a cam before? :)

I work, a lot. But, I'm on here mostly in the evenings, and early morning hours. All day sometimes on the weekends. Be fun to work with you to come up with a cam that suits your application. I enjoy "talking" shop. Esp. ole skool V8's. :D

Cheers.

KG F100 06-06-2014 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by thexlo8ers (Post 74509)
Steet, strip or both?
Automatic or manual?
Are those Aussie heads?
Stock, dual plenum, or spread bore?
Carb' CFM?
Rear gear ratio?
Vehicle weight?
Power brakes?
Short or long tube collectors?

If for street, is it rual straght-a-ways, curves and hills, or urban neighborhoods, and/or stop and go traffic?

Ever replace a cam before? :)

I work, a lot. But, I'm on here mostly in the evenings, and early morning hours. All day sometimes on the weekends. Be fun to work with you to come up with a cam that suits your application. I enjoy "talking" shop. Esp. ole skool V8's. :D

Cheers.

Hi i just bought a 1975 f100 truck described in my signature.

But it idles really rough and has zero power.

I called technical assistance at Ford Racing to ask about it.

The tech said the rough idle cold be caused by vacuum leak.

As to the total lack of power, he says it could need a higher stall converter or a milder cam which could give better torque lower in the RPM range. That's way over my head.

I guess i just don't understand why the truck wouldn't already be set up properly when practically the entire engine was designed and installed by LoneStar Performance (one of Ford Racing's dealer).

I assumed they would know what stock parts are on the truck (converter, cam, gear, etc.) and the engine they install would be compatible to provide the most performance.

I plan to use this truck as a daily drive in town with stop and go traffic.

I don't want a race-truck, not even close.

But I would like the truck to be more responsive when I step on the gas peddle and maybe even be capable of smoking the tires a little.

The truck does not leak any fluids and it does not smoke.

When driving in town or on the interstate, the oil pressure gauge stays between the "o" and "l" on the gauge and the temp stays between the "t" and "e" on the gauge.

I really appreciate any insight you might have and/or suggestions.

Thanks alot!