Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Always dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Default Always dead battery

I just put a new battery in my 2003 ranger got up the next morning dead again 2 days in a row had the battery, alternator, and starter tested everythingcame back fine . The only thing I've noticed under the hood is the canister , I'm sure it's a part of the air condition system , next to firewall is froze with ice would that have anything to do with it? All the lights are off nothing is left on .

Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Default RE: Always dead battery

I've noticed the clutch on the air conditioner is not disengaging the only way to get it to disengage is unplug the wire that goes to it . Plug the wire back up truck running or not and the clutch engages . Plus the heater switch is in the off position.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 AM

well, first off don't go buying a new clutch or compressor, its doing what its supposed to do. if its getting power it engages, which it should. somewhere you've got to have a problem in a relay or sensor thats not stopping the juice. see if you can't trace your wires to a switch or relay and test it for functionality for starters. I'm going to look for a more definitive solution in the mean time. I'll get back to you.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:26 AM

Last evening I unplugged the compressor and went out this morning, 20 degrees and it started

Old 02-25-2008, 07:45 AM

I had this problem last winter. My battery always died and most jumper cables would not jump the my truck. I had some home made ones that would. And my AC always would engage no matter what. The problem was traced to a bad relay that is located behind the dash. When I get home I can look at the repair bill and see what the name and part number was. BTW, the dealer said I saved alot of cash by telling them that the short was in the AC system.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 PM

I'm glad someone else could help wiht this,i spent a couple hours each day the last couple days trying to find a solution for this with no luck, of course if the truck was in my driveway instead i wouldn't have to search the internet for it.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Sorry for taking so long. I had promised to look on the repair bill and get a part number. But as luck would have it the only repair bill that I do not seem to ahve anywhere is this one. I apologize for not having a part number for you. I do know that it was a relay somewhere in the dash, behind the main components. So it was an hour or so of work for them to get to it. Total bill I remember being a bill and a half or so. I hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks anyway ,when I bought the truck it didn't have a owners manual in it, so I just ordered a owners manual and the
wiring diagram for the 2003 ranger because I need to find out where the relays are located at . So I can try and fix it myself.
If all else fails I'll have to take it to the Ford dealership.