Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Ranger (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-ranger-16/)
-   -   ford ranger xlt (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-ranger-16/ford-ranger-xlt-21013/)

falconer_39 08-31-2010 04:50 PM

ford ranger xlt

i just bought me a 94 ranger for 200.00 and it needs a clutch to make a long story short i cant get the trans out
am i suppose to take the crossmember that is just behind the motor out so i can remove the trans i can not find any where on the web that give you all the detail of changing out the clutch
the guy i got it from stoped at this point of removing the trans and gave up on it he was going to cut the exhaust pipes from the manafolds to get those out of the way because he was afraid the nut would strip out if he put a wrench on them and ideal out there
thanks dave

falconer_39 09-19-2010 07:07 AM

new ranger problem

ok guys
here is what i have now got the trans out and i notice the guy i got it from cut the hydraulic clutch line
the master cylinder work and the slave works and i have searched my local parts houses to find that line with no luck they tell me "they can not get it "
most of those part houses has what they call a kit and its a new master cylinder and slave with all the line for more then what i got the truck for
no body has just that line that plugs into the trans so i was wondering if i put a splicer coupler in it will it work
i have used those on air lines and metal brake line and they work fine on those
i notice the clutch hose is pretty thick and i don't think the Ferrel's will flatten it but i am no expert this kind of thing
i was looking thru this site and have not found a for sell or want thread yet
does any body know where i can find this hose or will a coupler work

thank you
Dave

hanky 09-19-2010 12:40 PM

Hydraulics are hydraulics and if you can mate the fittings from the clutch master cyl with a line to the fittings at the trans it will work,however, keep in mind the engine moves and if the line has no provision for movement like a hose , the line will eventually break.
Sometimes a place that makes hydraulic hoses can make up a line for you.

falconer_39 10-02-2010 09:06 PM

trans fluid

ok on my ranger with a 5 speed
how much fluid do i put in it and what kind
Dave

rxbahamut 10-21-2010 09:02 PM

It should be dot 3 or 4. I use Dot 3. A little bottle should fill it up and bleed it with a little extra.

falconer_39 10-24-2010 07:48 AM

ok guys thanks for the help
now i am working on the rear brakes
i notice they were not working so i took the drums off and was shocked at what i saw there was nothing in it but the wheel cylinders lol
that would explain why they dont work
does any body have a diagram of the rear brake so i can figure out what all i need
i went to autozone and got the spring and new wheel cylinders and adjustment linkage but hey could not get those little push rods that goes on both ends of the wheel cylinders i had to order those from the ford place and they are very proud of those 32 bucks each but i think i am still missing something is this truck suppose to have that bar that goes under the wheel cylinder that hooks up to both shoes in my spring kit it has a spring that is shaped like it
thanks for all your help

hanky 10-25-2010 04:58 PM

I believe there is an arm that attaches to the rear shoe on both wheels. That arm is held by a c clip that you close after you install the arm which has a locating pin on the top.
The flat bar you refer to is activated by the arm that is attached to the rear shoe (secondary). The arm is activated by the parking brake cable which is attached to the bottom of the arm. As the cable is moved foward (parking brake application) the arm moves foward contacts the bar which transmits the movement to the foward (primary) brakeshoe. I don't believe the arm comes with any kit , it has to be purchased separately from Ford. You could always check with a junk/salvage yard and see the entire setup and maybe get the missing parts. Wish I could be more help.

falconer_39 10-30-2010 07:52 PM

ok thanks buddy
i have been driving the truck a few day the front brakes work fine but when winter come i would feel alot safer with all my brakes working

SUV Blogger 11-02-2010 08:40 AM

Most front disc brake components include: brake rotor, brake pads, brake caliper, caliper mount and brake flex hose. Brake Services usual occurs between 20,000 and 40,000 miles depending on driver habits road conditions and brake pad material used.

Regards
Jigna

falconer_39 11-13-2010 01:55 PM

brakes

ok guys i got the rear brakes going they work pretty good but the emergence brakes dont work for some reason the way i adjusted the brakes was jack one side up turn wheel and adjust till i heard the brakes scrubbing a little then did the other side the same way
i am not a Mackinac but that is how i did all my vehicles before
so could it be i need to tighten them a little more
or is there something i am missing