Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Ranger (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-ranger-16/)
-   -   have replaced clutch master cylinder and bled the lines and still no fluid pressure... (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-ranger-16/have-replaced-clutch-master-cylinder-bled-lines-still-no-fluid-pressure-1400/)

thebran127 07-30-2005 07:23 PM

have replaced clutch master cylinder and bled the lines and still no fluid pressure...

I have a 93 manual hydraulic clutch and I can't get the brake fuid in the clutch to build up pressure. I have replaced the clutch master cylinder and that did not work, after bleeding there is still no pressure in so the clutch wont compress to allow me to shift. The only other thing I can think to do is to now to replace the clutch slave cylinder inside the transmission, but I want to make sure I check all other possibilities before I have to go through a whole days work to get the tranny out and in again. I have checked all the lines for leaks and I can't find any. Could there be a leak somewhere inside the transmission? Or is the only other possibility is the slave cylinder inside the transmission?

cctxfish 08-01-2005 01:01 PM

RE: have replaced clutch master cylinder and bled the lines and still no fluid pressure...

I think the master cylinder and lines still need to be bleed. Might be easier with a little vac pump and hose on the nipple of the slave cyliner. If the slave cylinder was bad it be leaking all over the place.

Ramrod48 08-03-2005 01:18 AM

RE: have replaced clutch master cylinder and bled the lines and still no fluid pressure...

yea those things are a bear at times to bleed, heres my trick , try to bench bleed the master first, crack the bleeder on the slave get a drain pan an let the fluid slowly drip down, keep topping the master off as needed ( leave the cap off doing this ) after you got a good flow coming outta the slave tighten bleeder , __ NEVER NEVER push the pedal all the way down , just do slow long 1/4 to 1/2 pedal travel down hold it for a min ao 2 an pull it up -- if you have a helper have him watch for air bubbles in the master when the bubbles stop popping , pull the pedal back up an do it again. in time you will get a good strong pedal , at that point push it down all the way an open bleeder, This way works every time for me !!!!!! . I get called to bleed the other guy's job when they finally cant get it, Ive seen them go thru a gallon of brake fluid trying , lying on the floor crying an cussing , An I do it in like 15 minutes .An yes the hand held vacumm works good too just dont get it " brake fluid " in the pump assy badness occurs then .

sarah0306 02-04-2017 09:25 AM

Will the vacumm pump method also bleed the master cylinder?

hanky 02-04-2017 02:44 PM

Unfortunately, NO !

Boneshank 09-17-2017 05:16 PM

2002 F350 7.3 clutch issues

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 100809)
Unfortunately, NO !

I went to get into my pickup this morning and there was hardly any pressure in the clutch it engages but barely the spring and everything is still there coming back. I know there was a new master cylinder put in before I bought this truck I'm wondering if it's the bushing on the slave cylinder or something else has anyone else have this problem or does anyone have any advice on how to attack this thank you

hanky 09-18-2017 02:16 PM

Not clear on the info provided.
What problem does it have?
Grinds trying to put into gear, or when letting clutch pedal up vehicle does not move?

Boneshank 09-21-2017 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 104215)
Not clear on the info provided.
What problem does it have?
Grinds trying to put into gear, or when letting clutch pedal up vehicle does not move?

it's starting to grind, sorry for lack of info. So if I pull the master cylinder fluid reservoir off and pump the clutch it will build pressure and will hold for a few minutes before returning to being spongy. I cannot tell if there's a leak or not. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm hoping it's NOT the actual clutch. Hopefully it's master/slave.
Thanks!

hanky 09-22-2017 02:43 AM

You cannot compress fluid, but you can compress air.
I suspect there is air trapped in the slave cyl or the line to it.
When you pump the pedal you are compressing the trapped air and pressure is releasing the clutch, but as soon as you allow the pressure to force the fluid back into the master the air pocket has returned to normal size. Try some of the suggested methods to bleed out the trapped air.

Hoyt Ray 11-24-2018 05:24 PM

I am gonna try this method. I did gravity bleed through slave and did not see air. when I had my helper we was pumping all the way down and the pedal still stick to the floor and needs pulled up every time. so will try what Ramrod48 said and see what happens.