Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Sport Trac (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-sport-trac-23/)
-   -   Code PO174 - Bank 2 System Too Lean (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-sport-trac-23/code-po174-bank-2-system-too-lean-37112/)

Ron W. 11-26-2017 07:47 PM

Code PO174 - Bank 2 System Too Lean

Hi guys and gals. I am updating a recently purchased pre-owned 2007 black Sport Trac Limited (V-6/4x4) with 160,000 miles for my son Erik who is a new driver at age 16. We wanted a safe vehicle for Erik and the Sport Trac fits the safety bill...+ I get a truck to use on the weekends...

I have installed all new snow tires (M-ICE X), all new brake system parts, new air filter, new MAF sensor, new plugs/NKG's and new plug wires, new serp belt, all under rust treatment and undercoating and bed liner coating. We also installed a Pioneer touch screen sound system with back-up cam.

This lean code reported about a month ago along with cylinder misfire codes. After I completed the plug/wires/MAF sensor work, we are down to one code reporting or the PO174 Code. Because this is just the driver side bank, should I be replacing the gas filter?... I still need to check for un-metered air leaks after the MAF sensor., I do not have a smoke machine. I have not replaced or cleaned any O2 sensor(s). The code reader says the problem may be a faulty fuel pump module?

Given the above updates and new parts installed, what do you guys think the cause is of this code is, at this time?..

Thanks in advance for your feedback... Best... Ron W.

hanky 11-27-2017 03:25 PM

The fuel filter or fuel pump should not affect just one bank. Good idea to look for vacuum leak along that bank also oxygen sensor with that many miles could be a problem. Since you replaced most parts never hurts to do it all and replace the fuel filter too. Always like to empty it out the reverse of how the fuel went in to get an idea of if any debris or water is trapped in there. Most of the time it is just a good PM move especially if you are up where cold weather is up the road, frozen fuel filters ,,no fun!

explorersportrac 01-04-2019 03:25 PM

Lean bank

Originally Posted by Ron W. (Post 105166)
Hi guys and gals. I am updating a recently purchased pre-owned 2007 black Sport Trac Limited (V-6/4x4) with 160,000 miles for my son Erik who is a new driver at age 16. We wanted a safe vehicle for Erik and the Sport Trac fits the safety bill...+ I get a truck to use on the weekends...

I have installed all new snow tires (M-ICE X), all new brake system parts, new air filter, new MAF sensor, new plugs/NKG's and new plug wires, new serp belt, all under rust treatment and undercoating and bed liner coating. We also installed a Pioneer touch screen sound system with back-up cam.

This lean code reported about a month ago along with cylinder misfire codes. After I completed the plug/wires/MAF sensor work, we are down to one code reporting or the PO174 Code. Because this is just the driver side bank, should I be replacing the gas filter?... I still need to check for un-metered air leaks after the MAF sensor., I do not have a smoke machine. I have not replaced or cleaned any O2 sensor(s). The code reader says the problem may be a faulty fuel pump module?

Given the above updates and new parts installed, what do you guys think the cause is of this code is, at this time?..

Thanks in advance for your feedback... Best... Ron W.

Hi Ron

explorersportrac 01-04-2019 03:28 PM

Lean bank

Hi Ron, Go with the easy fix. Find your PCV then follow the rubber tube to the front of the engine there you will find it going into an elbow remove it and inspect the rubber tube it maybe cracked. replace and clear the code.

Good luck