Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

02 Taurus Low Idle

Old 02-03-2014, 05:01 PM

Bluewind, in response to your question, no, I don't.
When possible just purchase Motorcraft stuff. Many auto supply stores sell Motorcraft parts, but charge a little more for them. You need to be careful, however, because the imitations come in the same color boxes , look like motorcraft , but aren't.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Default Ford Parts

I appreciate that you get what you pay for, and indeed if I find that my new (non-Ford) IAC valve is faulty I might then check the wreckers for a good used one off of a similar model Taurus. I paid $89 for my aftermarket valve but Ford wants $150!! I wish that my current dealer could be more supportive in diagnosing my problem. They want to do all sorts of diagnostic computer tests at a minimum of $90. I read on various forums of a few simple tests that I have mentioned earlier in this forum that my dealer doesn`t seem to care to do. The worst thing is that the first local dealer I wnt to, after doing some tests, replacing the oil pressure sensor just said that I have on old high mileage car and to just live with it. I don`t think they really knew what tests to do.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Flicker, I feel the same way. Fortunately enough I found an independent shop were I get everything done that I can't do myself or I don't want to do. That includes oil changes, other fluid changes, tires, alignments and stuff like that. I avoid dealer service like the bubonic plague. They get to do the recall stuff and that's it.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 AM

Not necessarily in defense of the dealer, but required scan tools start in the area of $3500.00 and up, and that is part of the reason for the @90.00 diagnostic time the other is for the tech's time.
We all know what happens when a "Yutz" gets loose in there.
It's "fixed" and sometimes more damage is done than if left alone.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 AM

Hanky, tell them when they come across an honest employee for the dealer. He or she will go above what the dealership wants them to . The problem is these are faithful people that are willing to give not always take. Very few. My brother has a scan tool that cost 10,000. He will help people time to time that need it. Not the people that drive BMW's an Volvo's . If you can drive the best, you can afford the bills that come with it.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:08 PM

There are a lot of people on this forum that are employed by dealerships. I hate to say this, but the little guy on the bottom, the tech, is usually just trying to make a living some doing what they like to do and others doing what they have to do. Most are generally honest folks and would prefer to know they did a good job rather than wing it and stick it to somebody. Unfortunately different places have different policies and you don't always get to speak with the guy that did the work and their hands are tied if they want to keep working there. I believe the dealerships, your friendly Ford store, do pretty much what the front office wants and the company can't always control things. That's only my opinion and it's not worth very much.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Default New test tomorrow

I've booked my car into a local shop that I have had work done before. They are supposed to be good at diagnosing electrical issues. I spoke to them yesterday and they said the first thing they would do is bench test the IAC valve. Ford never suggested that they would do that. They went on to say that if the IAC valve checks out they would check for a computer malfunction. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Should have gone to them first instead of the 2 Ford dealers that have set me back in over $250 in parts and labour and the problem still exists. I want someone who has a bit more intuition and can identify my low idle problem without breaking the bank!!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 PM

I respect hanky's comments, in particular the idea that the tech actually wants to do things right even though the front office is tying his hands. "Go by the book and make sure we get some items on the bill!"
On the other hand, my sister in law took her contour only to the dealer and said: "sure they are expensive but it gets done right." That just proves that there are good dealer services but it is still worth looking for a good independent shop to frequent.

Flicker, I think you are on the right track.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM

It is hard to find shops that give you respect an trust . But, when you do no matter how much it costs . You will likely be a return customer for life. That's what trust gets you.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Default I'm done!!

After 5 months of trying to resolve my low idle/oil pressure light flickering, and spending over $400 in parts and labor, and no resolution by 2 different dealers I have had enough. The sad part is that this 02 Taurus runs really well other than this problem, but I have now decided to cut my losses and traded it in. Thanks to all who have offered advice.