Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Need help with 01 Taurus LX a/c clutch pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Default Need help with 01 Taurus LX a/c clutch pulley

Hi All, I'm new to this site although I've read many of the posts. Anyway, I actually have two 2001 Taurus's: one an LX & the other an SE, both with over 180,000 miles. I Believe the SE has a bad fuel pump(cranks and won't catch unless we spray some starter fluid up the intake). Anyway, recently our LX (3.0L, V6 OHV) started making a loud noise from the engine compartment. The Taurus SE had also just started to make a similar sound not to long before the fuel pump died. Anyway I posted the video's on you tube under: 2001 Taurus LX Engine sounds loud (V6 3.0 auto with a/c http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu and another video with the serpentine belt off: http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu. The consensus of those who viewed the 2 viedos (and there is also one posted showing the SE engine noise) is that there is a bad pulley bearing. I have changed out the idler pulley & tensioner pulley & replaced the serpentine belt but the sound is still there. When the serpentine belt is removed( and we turn the engine over for a few seconds) the loud noise seems to go away so it would appear that the bad pulley/bearing diagnosis is probably correct. The water pump pulley turns fine in both directions. I cannot turn the a/c pulley much at all(by hand) and I am inclined to think that is the trouble. The air conditioner pumps out cold air so I think the a/c compressor is fine. I have been told that it is possible to change out the a/c clutch pulley assembly without having to discharge the a/c system & I am ready to do so. I am also aware that there are two methods to doing so. One method is to access the a/c compressor from the top, and the other method is to jack up the car and un-bolt the sub-frame. Can anyone here tell me what would be the easiest? I am not a mechanic by trade but I have had to work on cars a lot. However, when I hear "dropping the sub-frame" it sounds a little intimidating. But if I have a good idea on what to do I can drop the sub-frame. So, if anyone has the steps to either method I would appreciate if you could post them. Also, if you happen to have pictures along with the steps that would be even better. All the input is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for advice and assistance.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM

When the system calls for cooling the compressor clutch bearing is inactive. When cooling isn't called for the magnetic clutch is disengaged and now the clutch bearing allows the pulley to turn. If the noise disappears when cooling or defrost is called for its the clutch bearing. With the right tools you may be able to just remove the pulley and just replace the bearing.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks. We did the job yesterday (dropped the subframe). It definitely was the clutch pulley(bearing). Once we got the new clutch pulley on and then put the car back together it runs good. No more noise! The job isn't for beginners and of course every bolt/nut is frozen, but we kept at it. The only real problem we faced was getting the clutch pulley back on far enough for the snap ring to go on. None of my installers were the right size, and autozone didn't carry on either. The autone rep went on to say it is dealer specific and no-one would have one except Ford. Not sure about that but I would definitely like to get on for the next time. Anyway, my son played with it for over an hour and finally got it on. That was a lot of wasted time I want to avoid in the future! Do you know who might carry the installer that is correct for the Taurus a/c clutch pulley?