Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Taurus (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/)
-   -   2011 Taurus A/C problems (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/2011-taurus-c-problems-31942/)

wkbrad 06-19-2014 02:45 PM

2011 Taurus A/C problems

The compressor will cycle on and off about every 10 seconds when the engine is hot and the ambient temp is anywhere from 83-96 degrees. The output temp never gets lower than 44-45 degrees. I understand all the variables with the temps and humidity but the cabin can never get to really cool like I like it because the compressor keeps cycling on and off. The local Ford dealer has messed with the A/C ( and I mean messed) and says the cycling doesn't seem to be abnormal..which means they don't know what it should do. I'm more concerned with the compressor breaking down with all the cycling, especially at high speeds. I have a 2007 Infinite that I can turn the A/C on and get the output temp down to 35 degrees in no time and it will stay that way as long as I have the cabin temp set at 60 degrees..
Does any one have any idea??? Is the cycling on and off "normal"??
wkbrad

hanky 06-19-2014 02:49 PM

Before thinking of offering any kind of answer, what color are both your vehicles?

wkbrad 06-20-2014 07:56 AM

2011 Taurus A/C

The 2007 Infiniti's color is Serengeti Sand Wheat (Beige) and the 2011 Taurus is Candy Apple Red. But when comparing the output temps of both cars, they were both in the same garage and had not been out in the sun. Its just the Infiniti's compressor doesn't cut off and on whereas the Ford's compressor keeps cutting off and on.

hanky 06-20-2014 07:42 PM

I don't know if the system on the Infiniti has an expansion valve , but if it does, that would explain why the compressor doesn't cut off. The expansion regulates how much refrigerant is allowed to enter the evaporator and thereby controls the evap temp. The Taurus on the other hand may rely on the orifice and evap pressure to control the evap temp and it does this by cycling the compressor. Do you know if anyone has checked the system on the Taurus for a low refrigerant charge? Is there another shop that specializes in A/C work that you can have them check that?

wkbrad 06-22-2014 08:23 AM

Taurus a/c compressor problems???

Apple Ford said they checked the refrigerant and the levels were normal. I don't know what all they did except for that. They just seemed to want to park it and run it with the a/c on and trying to get the temp down on their little temp gauge. They didn't say if they checked the orfice valve, drier or what ever.....I know that in the spring, I don't think the defroster worked properly. Getting into the car wet when it was raining took a lot to get the windshield dry.
The car is under warranty and I haven't taken it to anyone else to have it checked.
My reason for posting this was mainly to ask if someone knew if a compressor cutting off and on like it does will cause it to fail earlier than normal. The dealer told me I have a magnetic designed compressor and its not like older compressors that have clutches that engage and can break down. Not sure what all that means. I've just learned to accept the fact that it will produce refrigerated air but not as well as it should (in my opinion). I would think common sense and design in auto A/C would have the compressor running until the set temp is reached. Anything short of that would be a design flaw.
I appreciate any comments on my perceived or real problem.

wkbrad 06-24-2014 10:18 AM

Concerning the compressor on my 2011. Where can a go look to see if the Taurus has the oriface/eval pressure or the expansion valve to control the compressor?

hanky 06-24-2014 01:58 PM

It has the orifice tube. The system in your vehicle is designed to cycle and that is normal. To satisfy your curiosity , why not just check with another car like yours?

wkbrad 06-29-2014 08:38 AM

Called Ford Corp and talked with them. Told them my concerns and that the car had been seen at the local Ford dealership. They called the dealership and I received a call from the dealership to bring the car back in. I seem to be doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...insanity. But I'm talking it back in on the 8th of July. I will post the results of that appointment.

wkbrad 07-11-2014 12:30 PM

Here is the latest and greatest from the Ford dealership on trying to figure out the problems with the cycling of the compressor. The A/C system has a couple of ways to operate it. It has a manual push button, a Auto push button and a TouchScreen icon. The touchscreen has a MAX Cooling touch icon. If the A/C is started in the Auto mode, the compressor will cycle about every 10 to 15 seconds regardless of the temp in the cabin, The same is true of just the "Manual" button. So the problem is still there but to get a "workaround" to make the Compressor keep running, I must go to the touchscreen and touch MaxCool. The compressor will run constantly in this mode regardless of the cabin temp. But the question still lingers, why does the compressor keep cycling when the temp in the cabin is really warm in the other modes???? No one seems to want to own up on the problem. This is still an ongoing conversation with Ford Corp. I only got the car back yesterday afternoon and expect to call them again today but I don't see much future in it. So if I go on a 7 hour trip, the compressor will cycle approximately 1680 times if it is in the auto or manual mode and cycling every 15 seconds. Seems like and awful lot of wear and tear.

hanky 07-11-2014 05:54 PM

Hi wk,
I can appreciate your concerns, but there are a few points to be considered here.
If the compressor ran all the time as they did in the older vehicles, it took a toll on the vehicle's mileage and the compressor did run all the time A/C was requested. The compressor wore out faster too !
Since the vehicle manufacturers are looking to squeeze out every fraction of MPG by reducing vehicle size and engine load , the cycling compressor was the method of choice and it was cheaper to produce too.
The on/off cycling of the compressor clutch is the way they control evap temp so it doesn't ice up.
In regard to your concern and the # of times the clutch engages and disengages , they are pretty durable and get a positive apply magnetically so there isn't too much wear taking place and the compressor is resting in between.
If it helps relieve some of your concerns consider how many revolutions the engine is making in that 7 hour trip. Seems like an awful lot of wear and tear there too doesn't it? The systems are proven to work for quite a while troublefree so that is what we have to work with and why not let it do it's job as the engineers and accountants agreed. We just pay the bill and enjoy the conditioned air. If I left anything out I am sure someone will correct me and who knows they could tell us I'm all wrong too.