Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Taurus (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/)
-   -   2011 taurus SEL 48,000 mile (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/2011-taurus-sel-48-000-mile-30800/)

mushugetter 10-28-2013 08:52 PM

2011 taurus SEL 48,000 mile

I am new on here so I apologize if this topic has been discussed. We just bought a used 2011 Taurus SEL with 48,000 miles. bought it from a Ford dealer and have had it about 1 1/2 weeks before this happened the first time and it has happened twice more since. Ok when you start your car the instrument panel needles all jump to the right then back to left then into proper positions. However the speedometer will stop at 40 mph and stick. restart car needle goes all the way to right then stops at 60mph, restart car needle goes way past 120 mph and needle stops at 90 mph. Car is not moving just in idle. My husband said he drove it home like that but seemed at 60 there was a vibration in the steering wheel. When all panels are normal there is no vibration. We contacted dealer and mechanic at the place were told first time they had ever heard of issues with the 2011, and no help about how to fix it except it will cost us 1000.00 to possibility change the instrument cluster. WHAT, just spent 18,000 at their place and had it less then 2 weeks.:mad: Can anyone spread some light on this problem, I would be grateful. thanks mindy

Hayapower 10-29-2013 11:21 AM

Welcome to the site, sorry problems brought you here..

Heard there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) in regards for or a similar problem, but looked and didn't see one for your 2011. None the less, If you do a net search for issues for the Taurus clusters it's not uncommon. I'd take it back a press 'very hard' on them and not just within the service dept/manager, along with any printed proof of failures you can supply. It's not good for them to have an very unsatisfied buyer within the showroom as well. And, it very well could be why the car was traded off. Another pressure point...

Most times on 'As Is' purchases since your within the standard warranty period/time limit, but outside the mileage limit, they may extend you a Costumer Satisfaction discount for the repair. You also may asked to complete a Ford satisfaction survey, a black mark hurts the dealer and most will try and accommodate you to a degree..

351pinto 11-01-2013 07:57 AM

HI. I would just like to add that i own one of these cars with no problems got it new has 38k on it now. just make sure all parental shut downs are turn OFF. ok see if this helps as for as gauges doing there start up cycle this normal.also they have a programable key. and i think your car is still under factory warranty till 120k or 7 yrs.

hanky 11-02-2013 05:36 AM

Trying to diagnose vehicle problems over the internet is a crapshoot because for example;
there could be a problem with the vehicle speed sensor that could be sending wrong info to the instrument cluster, but other components are sometimes in that same circuit and they also affect that information and what may be appearing as a speedometer problem could be something in an entirely different area with a problem . Sometimes several components are supplied operating power from the same source and a problem with any one of them may or may not show up as a code for that particular component. The way the system is designed will sometimes display a code with a priority and not necessarily the defective component/area.