Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Taurus (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/)
-   -   96 Taurus GL runs rough #5 misfire (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/96-taurus-gl-runs-rough-5-misfire-18890/)

kimoajax 12-15-2009 02:03 AM

96 Taurus GL runs rough #5 misfire

I pulled the code and it said number 5 cylinder misfired. However, it only runs rough after it warms up and I stop and start again. I know to check the wires first, then the plugs, then the coil...before moving on to other suspects. However, I just bought this car and don't know the engine cylinder layout for this 3.0 Vulcan V6 cross mount engine and the manual doesn't show the engine layout and can't seem to locate one on the web. So where is the number 5 cylinder?

way2old 12-15-2009 06:55 PM

Firewall
1 2 3
engine
4 5 6
front of car.
Easier than finding the picture.

kimoajax 12-16-2009 05:35 PM

1996 Taurus GL #5 cylinder misfire code

I just bought this car and when I first drive it in the morning it runs smooth as can be, all the way to work about 5 miles. When it starts it does not idle too high and the idle seems to properly steps down as it warms up. However, the rest of the day, if I have to make a run anywhere or head home, upon starting it runs very rough and is way under powered. It consistently keeps throwing a # 5 cylinder misfire code when it does run rough and the check engine light eventually even begins to even flash.

It has the Vulcan 3.0 engine and the rough running seems clearly associated in some way associated with it warming up. I have a hard time thinking it could be a plug or plug wire....although they will be the first thing I check. My question is; Does this sound like the ignition coil?

Colt Hero 12-19-2009 07:33 PM

I've got a '97 wagon with the 3.0 Vulcan (bought brand new). It has 177k+ on it right now. I've had the same code you're getting twice over the last two years - except on the #1 plug. Just so you're clear on this, if you stand on the passenger side of the engine compartment, the #1 plug is the first plug on the left (or firewall) side. Your #5 plug is the middle plug on the right side (the side facing the front of the vehicle - easiest to get at).

All I did to solve my problem was replace the plug. I've done this twice now over a two year's time. My theory is I have coolant leaking into the cylinder via a bad gasket - probably the head gasket - that is causing this plug to die prematurely. Don't know when (or if) I'll fix it.

Try changing the plug - but use FORD plugs. I've heard that these engines are fussy about which plugs you use. Haynes manual shows AWSF-32PP as the Motorcraft replacement for the 3.0 Vulcan, but call the Ford dealer for the latest number. They like to change these numbers a lot. You can buy FORD plugs (MotorCraft) at AutoZone in singles. I want to say I paid something like $3 per plug ??

rollsx3579 01-18-2010 08:08 PM

i have a 96 taurus and having same prob. you can also take the coil to autozone they will test it for you i am getting a misfire in a couple cylinders my coil was partaly bad so i changed it today. but i also have a prob when i get to about 60 my car stumbles not sure if it is a fuel pump or regulator.