Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Taurus (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/)
-   -   99 Taurus fuel pump (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/99-taurus-fuel-pump-17980/)

ikala476 08-19-2009 03:22 PM

99 Taurus fuel pump

Can a 99 Taurus fuel pump be replaced with a 98 Taurus pump?:confused:

way2old 08-19-2009 06:27 PM

It should as long as they are both either a flex fuel system or gasoline only. A gasoline only pump will have seals and motor ruined in a flex fuel situation.

ikala476 08-22-2009 08:08 PM

99 Taurus fuel pump problem?

:mad:I install the new fuel pump on my Taurus and the car won't start. I take off the fuel line from the filter to test the pump, every time I move the switch to the on position the pump works for about 5 seconds pumping fuel then it stop. :confused: Whats the problem now?:eek:

way2old 08-23-2009 06:55 PM

The computer stops the pump after a couple of seconds. That is just to prime the lines so there is enough pressure to start the engine. Have you checked all the fuses? Does the car have spark?

ikala476 08-24-2009 06:31 AM

99 Taurus fuel pump problem?

All fusses are ok,;) spark is fine,;) if I put starting fluid thru the carb the motor start.:confused: Im going to change the filter today to see what happens:(. Another thing, the car wass in the street for about 6 month and when it start the first time a lot of water came out thru the muffler.

ikala476 08-25-2009 05:06 PM

99 Taurus fuel pump

I put new sparkplugs, new gas filter. I drop the fuel tank down again and I found there are two black hoses smashed between the car and the fuel tank, one goes to a blue plastic valve or something like that and the other is like a ventilation hose, can't this be the problem for not starting? Sorry but I know almost nothing about this.:o Thanks a lot.;)

way2old 08-25-2009 06:43 PM

Do you have access to what is called a "noid" light to see if the injectors are working? If not, some auto parts houses have a loan a tool program. I think the hoses you are talking about go the the fuel tank pressure sensor and a vent to air. Those should not cause a no start. They may cause problems filling up the tank. Since the fuel pump runs when the key is turned on, there is fuel going to the injectors. I would check to see if they are working. Keep us informed.

ikala476 08-25-2009 11:37 PM

99 Taurus fuel pump

I check the injectors cables with the light and they are getting power. I also take them out to see if they were working and they are.:mad: What else should I check, Thanks

way2old 08-26-2009 07:00 PM

What is the fuel pressure? It should be between 32 and 42 psi. Are you sure the injectors are opening when you are cranking motor? Are you positive there is strong enough spark.

ikala476 08-28-2009 06:20 AM

Thankssssss

Thanks for all the advise,:) I change the new fuel pump that was bad with no pressure. Now the car start and run great:D. I will need to replace the alternator that's not charging, but everything else is great. Thanks again:rolleyes: