Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Taurus (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/)
-   -   ABS Codes (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-taurus-26/abs-codes-39526/)

Joey Harkins 02-14-2019 02:51 PM

ABS Codes

Hello all, I've been having some issues with my 2012 Ford Taurus SEL with 135k miles. I had a warped front passenger side rotor so I replaced the front rotors and pads. After that, the front passenger side caliper locked up. I replaced both the caliper and rubber brake line, and bled the system. Right after that, my traction control light came on and then soon after my ABS light came on, they both reset when the car is restarted but doesn't take long to come back on. Sometimes the traction control light comes on, then goes off, then both come on at the same time. The process of the lights coming on is always different. When I'm coming to a stop, it sounds like the back driver brake pad grinds a bit from about 7mpg-0mph but was thinking that was the rear pads needing to be replaced soon. Could the rear driver side wheel bearing be causing all the codes? The one I'm worried about is the Yaw sensor being bad, as those are pretty pricey and I'm not looking to spend any more money on this money pit. Any help or advise on what to test would be greatly appreciated!

2012 Ford Taurus SEL
135k Miles

I pulled the codes and this is what i got:
C1963 - stability control inhibit warning
C1299 - left rear wheel speed sensor input signal fault
C1222 - speed wheel mismatch
C1296 - left front wheel speed sensor input signal fault
C1280 - yaw rate sensor signal fault

hanky 02-15-2019 02:14 PM

Hi Joey,
A good part of the time wrench and ABS lights coming on are traced to problems with wheel speed sensors.
There are times when clearances or debris get between the sensor and the signaling part on the brake rotor.
Careless handling can fracture the reluctor and provide intermittent signals that the system picks up and considers it a loss of signal due to the wheel locking up when that is not what is happening.
Close inspection may find the problem , but a scan tool with a graphing function is the better way to verify operation.
We always complain when a complete brake service costs so much, but all new stuff usually doesn't leave any problems. 135.000 miles is not a lot of miles, but how and where the vehicle is driven has a lot to do with what will provide problems that are not replaced at the time pads are considered..
Wheel bearings also come into the picture, so make sure there are no questionable parts there.

Joey Harkins 02-16-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 112228)
Hi Joey,
A good part of the time wrench and ABS lights coming on are traced to problems with wheel speed sensors.
There are times when clearances or debris get between the sensor and the signaling part on the brake rotor.
Careless handling can fracture the reluctor and provide intermittent signals that the system picks up and considers it a loss of signal due to the wheel locking up when that is not what is happening.
Close inspection may find the problem , but a scan tool with a graphing function is the better way to verify operation.
We always complain when a complete brake service costs so much, but all new stuff usually doesn't leave any problems. 135.000 miles is not a lot of miles, but how and where the vehicle is driven has a lot to do with what will provide problems that are not replaced at the time pads are considered..
Wheel bearings also come into the picture, so make sure there are no questionable parts there.

Thanks for the reply Hanky, it looks like the cause was dirty speed sensors, cleaned them up and cleared the abs codes, they have yet to come back!! Thanks again