Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2007 Taurus Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Default 2007 Taurus Transmission

I am looking at a 2007 Taurus SEL that I am thinking of buying. I have heard a lot on here about Transmission problem. THe owner says this transmission has never been serviced but has never given him any trouble either. The car has 159000 miles on it and drives fine. What do you guys recommend? Is the transmission getting ready to die, or some of them last forever? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Sure, it's possible. If every tranny in every Taurus gave out, Ford would more than likely be out of business. I would still have the tranny serviced if it were me. It's possible the current owner doesn't consider fluid change/filter a 'service', the owner may consider that if the tranny was 'worked on' as being 'serviced'. as with any used vehicle, take everything said about it with a grain of salt. Good Luck, keep us posted

Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lars(wi)
Sure, it's possible. If every tranny in every Taurus gave out, Ford would more than likely be out of business. I would still have the tranny serviced if it were me. It's possible the current owner doesn't consider fluid change/filter a 'service', the owner may consider that if the tranny was 'worked on' as being 'serviced'. as with any used vehicle, take everything said about it with a grain of salt. Good Luck, keep us posted

Therein lies the crux. If this tranny has never been serviced than the inside surfaces have a bunch of varnish on them. If you replace the fluid now the fresh detergents will loosen that varnish and within a few months the tranny will fail.

If you like this car make sure to budget for a transmission replacement. You may be lucky for a while but don't replace the fluid!