Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Burning smell from engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Default Burning smell from engine

I have a 96 Taurus, with 78000 miles on it and in good driving condition. Whilst driving today, I starting smelling fumes (like burning tar) coming from the engine. I recently had an oil change done and air filter replaced. This smell keeps coming and subsides, when I turn off the car. Could it be an oil leak? Please assist. Thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Could be that they just splashed or drained some oil onto the exhaust, or, spilled oil duing the fill that made it's way on down or is cooking on the manifolds.. Might check for any 'spotting' under the car after its run and sat for a time.. Being you noticed the smell right after the oil change and wasn't present before, would have me suspect of a spill or possibly a leaking oil filter (leaking crimp, not tight, or possibly left the old filter gasket) that may be allowing oil to contact the exhaust.. Take a look around the fill cap for any evidence of a spill during the change, and/or oil drops both under the car on the driveway ect. and around the filter.. Also any unusual amount of 'hanging' drips on the chassis bottom that may now contact the exhaust.. If a moderate amount of oil was allowed onto the exhaust, it would take some time for it to burn off as long as it wasn't a leak supplying the smell..