Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Transmission gone?!?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Default Transmission gone?!?

The wifes 2003 taurus has been acting up, last time changing the oil it was ~ a quart low on trany fluid...filled it to the full line.....`bout 2 to 3 weeks ago.....tonite was mowing & moved it over to my park-spot...after I got done....car started fine BUT wouldn`t move. Tried to trouble-shoot(I`m a shade-tree but w/a little mechanical skill)....made sure the linkage going to the trans moved....it did...then warmed up the engine(trans) to check it.....over filled!!! ANY advise on the next DIA-O`s I could do?!?!? Things are REAL tight here just like I`m sure they are most everywhere, but just wondered if any1 had any ideas or know of a factory FU....
Thank you ALL in advance for even looking & ANY input is MUCH appreciated!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM

.....guess evey1 left.......& THIS is the google search top of the list for ford forums...OK.....input??????!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

No movement in ALL gear selections?

Sounds like a low line/EPC presures if all ranges/engagments are affected.. If you have a pressure gauge, you can test line/EPC pressure on the top of the case up close to the side pan.. Line PSI is the second from the front test tap and should read about 60-80lbs at idle in park/neutral, 80-100 or so reverse, and mid 50' to upwards of 140/150 in the drive/low ranges.. EPC pressures will be 10-20/40 depending on range selection..

Has anyone serviced/filter changed the trans lately? Miles on the unit?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Hayapower, THANK YOU very much for your reply!!!
And I appologize for being "a little rammy" on lastnites post!

On your ?`s, I don`t belive so on the service/filter unless the wife had it done w/o telling me....96,000 miles & no movement in ALL gear positions(R,D,2 or 1).
Ok, I broke down & e-mailed an old friend that used to be a Ford(even a Master, w/the trophy & all certifacates)mechanic over in Evansville Ind. I HATE having to ask him mechanical ?`s but like I said before, this is pretty much an emergency & our #1 vehickle, so I E`d him first. I`m going to try to c & p his e-reply back to me which I "Think" is what you were talk`n about,Hayapower.

i got your e-mail and first thing that comes to mind is that those trannys have a driveshaft connecting the torque converter to the pump. if the splines stripe out the pump quites working. that would be will the fluid level is checking high now. i will keep racking my brain for you but wanted you to know that i have red the e-mail. sorry about your luck

Now, I did break down & call him last & he was able to go into better detail about getting a pressure testing device to more isolate what the problem is. His PSI guess was more like 150 to even 250 but he has been out of the mechanics game for (I`m just guess`n) ~5 years?.? I`m going to admit now, he said if the pressure is low that that is the prob & that the diy fix was "a bit over my head"....lol...in a nice way of course! I do trust him & he knows what kind of shade-tree skills, tools & place to work that I DO have!!! I guess I`m just wanting to be able to "tell" the tranny shop that we KNOW what the prob is instead of going in "blind" & getting ripped off, even though that could still happen I guess?!
The wife said she would ask at her work(car parts, but relay manufactering though) if a coworker would have to be borrowed, if not, I`m "guess`n" that autozone or napa would have 1 for rent.
Once again, THANK YOU Hayapower....& anyone else that would like to chime in too!!!
Gasman.......

Old 08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

The pressures I gave were 'idle' values and guesstimated.. If you were to run a WOT/stall pressure test the values would be more 150/250 or so.. It could be the pump drive lost its splines, pump failed, or a possible 'thought' was if it had been serviced/filter change recently, and maybe an issue with the filter installation/damage for a loss of pickup starving the trans for pressure/supply.. Might pull the lower pan before pulling the unit if you go that way, and have a look for 'trash'.. Larger pieces of debris may not make it's way to the pan, but you may see abnormal amounts of 'suspended metals' in the lube..
More so if the pressure test proves a no pressure condition..

Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Well, called our local(s) AZ`s & napa, they don`t have a rent/buy "EPC tester" (we`re rural....not big city close).....is there a way to make my own? 300 to 400 lb. guage w/ the right fittings. I read about using even 3/8 tubing but I`m not sure about the fittings size. Would `preciate some more guidance. TY in advance!