Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Servicing the trans on my 2000

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Default Servicing the trans on my 2000

Is anyone here familiar with this process? The only thing I have found out is that it does have a strainer (filter?) and they say that needs changed also. Is this a hard job? Is it anything more than pulling the pan, changing the strainer and refilling fluid?

Also, for those that may know. Is the strainer hard to change out? looks like it just slides up onto a shaft of some sort, but I want some 1st hand experience.

thanks
JJ

Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Default RE: Servicing the trans on my 2000

ORIGINAL: jjhearn

Is anyone here familiar with this process? The only thing I have found out is that it does have a strainer (filter?) and they say that needs changed also. Is this a hard job? Is it anything more than pulling the pan, changing the strainer and refilling fluid?

Also, for those that may know. Is the strainer hard to change out? looks like it just slides up onto a shaft of some sort, but I want some 1st hand experience.

thanks
JJ

Hello and good day:

I would strongly suggest that you get a Haynes Manual (repair guide) that can guide you Thur the process.

It is a very simply process to change your Transmission Fluids, and Filter...(which should be done every 30,000miles)...
If you would like me to run you step by step Thur this I will....But try to buy a Haynes Repair manual or a Chilton's Manual.

Good luck.....6

Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Sterling. I will leave that up to you. I thought I had thumbed thru one for the car before, but it may have been for another vehicle, cause I remember not finding exactly what I was looking for. But I will try and get to it this next week off. I appreciate it, thanks

JJ

Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 AM

Just be sure to get a big wide pan to catch all the fluid. It takes approximately 6 1/2 quarts to refill. The repair is straight forward as you indicated. The filter has a sealing ring on it. Be sure the old filter comes out with the seal. If it does not, carefully use a screwdriver and pry the old seal out. When you tighten the pan and fill the trans, install 4 quarts then start the car. Run it through all gears 2 times to get fluid to the pump. Check the fluid. Top it off to the full mark. Drive it for about 10 minutes and recheck the fluid level. Top it off again and you are ready. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Sterling. I will leave that up to you. I thought I had thumbed thru one for the car before, but it may have been for another vehicle, cause I remember not finding exactly what I was looking for. But I will try and get to it this next week off. I appreciate it, thanks

JJ

JJ if you do need any further help in the process...let me know and I will outline the Basic process in changing your Filter,Gasket, and refill. Also Way2old is correct in the process of it being straight forward...there is a lot of fluid that will come out of the pan, and Transaxle it'self...

Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 PM

Cool, it is a little more to it than I expected, but it will save me 60+ dollars. When the filter, which I am assuming is the strainer from I have been told, correct? Does this just slide in and out?

1. drop pan, dump fluid
2. pull filter w/seal, replace with new (both filter and seal)
3. Refill w/4 quarts and shift gears to coat, check level, and then fill to full
4. drive, and then recheck, look for leaks obviously.

If needed, I will let you mapquest my address for extra help.

Any other help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Sterling, and for your help to W2O

Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Cool, it is a little more to it than I expected, but it will save me 60+ dollars. When the filter, which I am assuming is the strainer from I have been told, correct? Does this just slide in and out?

1. drop pan, dump fluid
2. pull filter w/seal, replace with new (both filter and seal)
3. Refill w/4 quarts and shift gears to coat, check level, and then fill to full
4. drive, and then recheck, look for leaks obviously.

If needed, I will let you mapquest my address for extra help.

Any other help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Sterling, and for your help to W2O
you are very much welcome...one more thing...do not over torque th bolts... if you tighten them down tight ther 1/4 turn after.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:19 PM

Ok, 1 more question. Is the flex fuel modulator under the dash easy to install. I have been told it is just a plug/connection type. Is this correct?

I have searched this, but didn't find an installation question/reply thread

thanks

Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Ok, 1 more question. Is the flex fuel modulator under the dash easy to install. I have been told it is just a plug/connection type. Is this correct?

thanks

Hmmm that is and excellent Question.....I really have no clue...this may be something Way2old could help you with...Send him a Private E-mail...see if he can help you with... 6

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM

thanks

JJ look for other gentlemen by the name Hayapower...he is a modertor in this forum...and is very knowledgeable, and may be able to help also.........6

Quick Reply: Servicing the trans on my 2000