Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   E40D Questions (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/e40d-questions-40250/)

petreussg 07-11-2019 11:24 PM

E40D Questions

Hello All,

I'm new here on the forum, but will probably be around quite a bit picking everyone's brain. I just got a 91 5.8L F250 4X4 at auction. Kind of a love and hate deal since it seems like a pretty cool truck, but way more than I was expecting to have to work on.

My general question:

How do I check the transmission level when I know I don't have enough fluid? Is it OK to turn on the car to get to operating temperature in order to accurately check?

Why I'm asking (whole story):

I did transmission maintenance, but am pretty sure I didn't put the filter on right, so I'm going to drop the pan again to check. I drained the torque converter and dropped the plan. Replaced the filter, but it didn't feel right. Kept looking at it, and thought that maybe it was good. After watching more videos I don't think I got all of the O ring out for the filter. Here is the strange part. I pulled an orange O ring out using a flat head screwdriver. It was the same size as the new one on the new filter so I thought it was OK. However, there is what looks like another O ring up in that hole. After watching videos it looks like there is no orange ring in the hole where the filter gets put into. I really don't know how that's possible, but it's really bothering me. Also, the new filter stays up without me holding it, but it comes off very easily when pulled. I'm worried it's not seated properly and will fall out on a bump.

I'm going to drop my pan to check everything so that I don't destroy the transmission. However, I have no idea how much is actually in there after dropping the pan. I put in 9qt (ran out and went to the store to buy 4 more qt, but lost access to the shop for the day). I'm planning on adding 6qt after dropping the pan, but then need to check where I am so I don't overfill. Instructions say that levels should be checked at operating temperature.

hanky 07-12-2019 07:59 AM

If you drain the pan and converter, it will take approx 16 qts trans fluid.(4 X 4).

If only the pan check what you drain out and install fresh almost the same amount as drained then start engine and check level. If you see no reading at all on dipstick shut off engine and add 1/2 qt at a time then start and recheck level reading should be in hashmark area on stick. , shift trans lever through all positions at idle allow trans to warm up and after about 5-10, minutes recheck level if necessary add 1/2 pints as needed to bring level to full mark when engine is idling at operating temp..Dip stick has to really be clean to see level correctly . If you wait a few minutes for fluid to all run down fill tube , reading on stick will be easier to read.

When replacing filter , Carefully remove sealing ring from location in valve body. Lube and install replacement seal in hole then press in filter. No type adhesive should be used with pan gasket,and torque should be set with torque wrench, if possible to 10-12 ft lbs.

If you decide to check the transfer case fluid level it should be to the bottom of the fill plug. If you decide to change the fluid , the transfer case uses Motorcraft Mercon Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent . Fill plug torque is 7-17 ft lbs.

Hayapower 07-12-2019 11:19 AM

It’s common for the filter o-ring to dislodge on the filter removal and remain in the valve body.
Be sure the filter you install is correct for the 4x4, 4x2 filters are shorter and can cause fluid pick up/suction issues if used in 4x applications.. The o-ring on the filter neck just gets a lite lube for the install, there should be no o-ring in the valve body.. Filter install should just be a lite press in, seal tension will hold it in place.
Hankys fill is spot on..

petreussg 07-13-2019 12:10 AM

Hey everyone. All of your help was awesome.

I dropped the pan again today since I was stressing about that filter, and yes there was another gasket up in there. The strange thing is that there were two gaskets. I think the person that changed it before me didn't remove the old gasket, and just jammed the new filter in there. I suspect this because I took out a total of two gaskets that were the exact same size. My filter is now snug and I'm confident it's in there right.

Now to my next issue. I drained everything again (pan and torque converter), but now I think I may have put in too much fluid. After driving, the ATF is above the fill line. I was wondering if I could fix this by just draining the torque converter and then adding half a quart at a time. I really don't want to drop that thing again, and I don't want to waste anymore ATF, but also don't want to ruin my transmission.

hanky 07-13-2019 06:49 AM

If you drain some out of the converter , the pump will pull from the pan and fill what you drained out, just let it idle when you start it.

When trans converters leak that is exactly what happens.

petreussg 07-14-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 114276)
If you drain some out of the converter , the pump will pull from the pan and fill what you drained out, just let it idle when you start it.

When trans converters leak that is exactly what happens.

Thanks! Worked perfectly.