General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

remote start sets off security system

Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Default remote start sets off security system

I have a 2005 f350 that I just bought from a friend. It has remote start on the truck. But every time I try to use it, it sets off the alarm. I have read the Deluxe Vehicle Security manual. Using the Trip ID chart its giving me a entry door was tripped alarm. I thought that the truck was tripping the shock sensor. But its not even trying to start. Any ideas?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Shawnboy
I have a 2005 f350 that I just bought from a friend. It has remote start on the truck. But every time I try to use it, it sets off the alarm. I have read the Deluxe Vehicle Security manual. Using the Trip ID chart its giving me a entry door was tripped alarm. I thought that the truck was tripping the shock sensor. But its not even trying to start. Any ideas?
I think that one of the door contacts (or its related wiring going back to the remote starter) is causing this - the remote "sees" a door open and refuses to start the engine. Try to unlock the doors from the keyless entry remote, then open one door, leave it open and activate the remote starter. The truck should start fine since now it knows that the door was "lawfully" unlocked via the keyless entry system, and whether it is open or not is no longer relevant.

Do you get any door ajar warning lights on the dash - if the truck is fitted with this feature?

Good luck - and let us know what you find!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM

ok i did what you said. It didn't set off the alarm. But the truck still wouldn't start. It acted like it was going to. But never engaged the starter. Did this about five times then stopped. What now? Thanks for the help by the way.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnboy
ok i did what you said. It didn't set off the alarm. But the truck still wouldn't start. It acted like it was going to. But never engaged the starter. Did this about five times then stopped. What now? Thanks for the help by the way.
My other car, a Subaru Outback, does the same thing when the factory remote starter messes up its programming. When this happens to me, I take the car to the dealer and they reprogram all keys and remotes ... I wish I could do that myself, but Subaru asks for $2500 for the system programmer software and interface. It happened about four times in the past three years. So my advice to you is to take all your keys and remotes and ask a dealer to reprogram them ...

The idea behind re-programming is that the car immobilizer no longer recognizes the bypass module - which is nothing else but an ignition key transponder installed permanently on the car and recognized as any other key. Normally, the immobilizer will never allow the engine to be started unless a known key is inserted. Well, with the remote starter there's no key in the ignition, so the bypass module acts like a key by means of an antenna loop installed around the ignition, on top of the immobilizer's own loop antenna. The bypass has a chip connected to this antenna, so when the remote starter starts the engine, the immobilizer looks for a key, reads the immobilizer bypass module, recognizes it as a key and allows the engine to start. If the bypass module failed, or the immobilizer lost its programing, the remote starter fails to start the engine and the alarm is tripped.

Try to keep one ignition key next to the ignition and activate the remote starter. If the engine starts, your immobilizer bypass unit failed, or the immobilizer programming is gone - reprogram the keys at the dealer. If the engine doesn't start, the problem is with the remote starter itself (it doesn't see all preconditions/contacts as they should be ... could even be the hood switch). Let us know ... and good luck!

Last edited by cougar_fan; 12-05-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Is this a factory system for the remote start? Ford didn't start putting them in their cars till about this year.
Is this a factory alarm that the remote start is wired into?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM

No it is not a factory system. This is a after market alarm. I work selling factory remotes and i can tell you that year of car does not have it.
Its better to just take off that alarm system because you will have future problems even if you fix it. I have taken off several of these alarms and returned the car to its normal state.

I live in houston and if u need this service call 832 880 7369. eli.
i