General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford Escape ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Unhappy Ford Escape ABS Light

Recently my 2001 Ford Escape's ABS light has been coming on. It only comes on when it's been raining and the roads are wet, and when I have been driving over 30mph for 10-15 minutes. Once the ABS light has come on, then 5-10 minutes later, my red brake light comes on. The brakes seem to work just fine. If I stop the car and wait a few minutes before turning it back on, the lights don't turn on again - but a few minutes later the ABS light will come back, quickly followed by the red brake light. If there is a long period before I turn the car back on, then the lights go away again - unless I drive on a wet highway for 10-15 minutes. I have had a lot of brake work done this last year, but nothing recently (the master cylinder, brake lines to each wheel, brake pads and shoes have all been replaced). I really can't afford another major fix - is the sensor just getting wet? Is this something I can fix myself or do I have to take it back to my mechanic? Thanks!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Your tone ring may be cracked and causing the sensor to kick on the ABS. That was my problem. I replaced the tone ring (code said the sensor was having errors) and have had no problems. It was about $250 for parts and labor.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Try retrieving the codes from the ABS module. This will allow us to better have an idea of how to trace this.
Start by checking the brake fluid level.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 AM

My 01 windstar had a leak from the sensor on the master calendar, it found its way down the wire to the driver side wheel speed sensor. when it got wet it would turn on the ABS and the brake light on..
first i cleaned the connector that was wet and it was good for 2 months,, in the end i had to change the leaky sensor
i dont remember what the sensor is called but its job is to tell the cruise control that you pushed the brake and turns cruise control off..

i found out that ford had a recall for this and it could start a fire,, i could have had it fixed for free..

Im not sure if you have this on your truck, but look under the master calendar for a sensor see if it wet.

note when the lights come on you have no ABS

Last edited by blazz81; 01-15-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:41 AM

I was also having the ABS light on...the recall for the vehicle did not fix the problem. I ordered the ABS Sensors and the problem was automatically fixed. I recommend buying them from the following link as their are the exact ones that I bought.

ABS Speed Sensor & Harness Front Left & Right Pair Set for Ford Escape Mariner
ABS Speed Sensor Harness Front Left Right Pair Set for Ford Escape Mariner | eBay

They are usually priced at $100+, but the store is selling it at least half price in US Dollars $49.45 Free Shipping

Hit me up if you have any questions.
-Eddie Teddy

Last edited by ER87; 10-03-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Adding important information