Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   Fuel starvation (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/fuel-starvation-26022/)

denisbam 12-22-2011 02:37 AM

Fuel starvation

Hi there guys. My name is Denis Bam. i have a 2001 model ford ranger 2.2lt.my petrol pump gave in a while ago and i got it replaced. after that my car wouldnt idle. so they put a plug into the return line that runs from the carb. after that she would idle and drive fine. last week the petrol pump gave in again and i got it replaced. they removed the plug on the return line and squeezed the pipe smaller. she idles fine and drives fine, but when i have a load on or ride her hard she still wants to starve from fuel. as i understand the setup, for some reason she is pushing to much petrol through the return line back to the tank. why would it do that? can anybody please help? i want my car to be back the way it was when i bought it.
Thank you
Denis

Hayapower 12-22-2011 01:22 PM

Hi Denis.. Welcome aboard..

Not really familiar with your specific model, but my first question would be 'who's pump was installed,, OEM, aftermarket? I can see that a replacement may go bad, happens,, but 2? in a short time. And,, that the car ran fine (?) prior with the OEM pump running until it failed. And since the new replacements, now it has fuel problems? It almost sounds like the pump can't deliver enough pressure/volume. Have they checked to make sure the pump is putting out spec. fuel delivery pressure/volume? Could be that some trash was allowed to pass through during the replacements (doubtful, but possible) or the pumps were never the issue. But my first concern would be what the pump is delivering (or not) as a start point. Filtering restriction ect. too, but my bet it was replaced or checked and would show up if present during a pump test if done..

bluewind 12-22-2011 01:55 PM

Is it the fuel pressure regulator?
Dirt in the filter?
Plugged jets inside the carburetor?
Does a '01 have a carburetor? You should have a fuel injection system.
Is the throttle body clean? Are the EGR passages open? Are there vacuum leaks anywhere?

Is there a CEL on? what's the code?

hanky 12-22-2011 06:46 PM

In just reading the information you posted, some is confusing. Does it really have a carburetor? Some regions have different vehicles from others. Generally, there is no return line with a carburetor system at least as far as I am aware with Fords.
I agree with the previous posts suggesting a pressure / volume problem and that could be caused by poor electrical connections to the pump or even the pumps themselves.
Can you get the pressure readings and post them here? Volume readings are more difficult to obtain without special equipment.

denisbam 12-23-2011 05:52 AM

Hi there guys. thank you very much for your input. the bakkie is definately carberated. i dont know much about cars tho. where can i take the car to get a fuel presure test done? i also put a facet pump on and the same issue arises. when the return line is blocked is fine but when its connected to the tank she will idle but once i pull away it dies. should i take a picture of how they squezed the pipe closed and upload it? it has been serviced recently and a new petrol filter was replaced. they also did clean the carb with carb cleaner and still the same problem. bluewind, im not sure what you mean with 'CEL', sorry. the pump i bought is not a original, i got it from autozone and can find out what presure it puts out. thank you.

hanky 12-23-2011 06:19 AM

You must think I'm pretty slow because of the questions I'm asking.
Most folks here refer to the fuel as gasoline while folks from other countries call it petrol.
If you purchased the replacement pump from Autozone, I would conclude that you are located in the US. Don't need to know exactly where you are located, but where is the vehicle now?
I want to do some additional checking since there was also another recent post regarding a pressure regulating valve on a carbureted engine. Not having seen anything like this on a carb engine before I'm kinda in the dark.
Was this vehicle purchased in the US ? CEL stands for check engine lite.

denisbam 12-23-2011 07:09 AM

Ok, I live in South africa. johannesburg. we call it petrol in SA. the car was bought and still is in SA. thank you very much.
Denis

hanky 12-23-2011 01:44 PM

Thank you for answering my questions.
First of all , I have never seen a carburetor engine with a fuel pressure regulator. They don't have anything like that , that I know of here in the US. I will try to locate the post that appeared here recently and forward it to you and it may be of some help.
The title is; "Holly fuel pressure regulators" on JEGS site.
Hope this is some help. I learned something today, thanks. Let us know how you make out.

Hayapower 12-23-2011 11:46 PM

Hanky, remember the early 80's 460's in the 250's ect.. They had a hard fuel line 3 way 'restictor' (a regulator of sorts) up by the coil and was a return to tank system even back then. It was designed to control vapor lock, but they would plug with tank trash creating pressure problems. If I remember correctly, there wasn't any filter before the restrictor other then the tank sock. I'm wondering if this was a carry over design, or something similar to the present carb problem? Dodge had a similar setup I think on some of their big bores..

hanky 12-24-2011 10:58 AM

Hayapower, Sorry to say, I have never come across any vehicles with a pressure regulator set-up for the carb. I couldn't locate the earlier post where a gentleman inquired about this very same subject and he also posted a picture of the regulator. If you could possibly locate it or help our friend in johannesburg it would be a nice holiday present. I would like to wish Everybody a Happy Holiday and a Healthy and Happy New Year!