General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford Expedition Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Default Ford Expedition Fuel Injectors

A serviceman attempted to replace the spark plugs in my Ford Expedition only to end up detaching the fuel injectors. The garage refuses to do any other work on the vehicle and I'm stuck with an SUV with old spark plugs and disconnected fuel injectors.

Can I, an individual, remount the fuel injectors myself or do I need special equipment to reprime the cylinders? Is there anything in particular I need to know? It looks like they didn't bleed off pressure from the fuel supply when they disconnected them. I'm just stuck with a huge mess.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
L.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 PM

If you are mechanically inclined you can replace them yourself. You do not have to remove the fuel rail to replace the plugs. Just be sure the "O" rings are in place. The injectors just sit in place with the pressure of the rail and mounting bolts. After you put it together, turn the key on and check for fuel leaks. It is not a hard job. Hope the place did not charge you. What year is your truck?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by way2old
If you are mechanically inclined you can replace them yourself. You do not have to remove the fuel rail to replace the plugs. Just be sure the "O" rings are in place. The injectors just sit in place with the pressure of the rail and mounting bolts. After you put it together, turn the key on and check for fuel leaks. It is not a hard job. Hope the place did not charge you. What year is your truck?
Hey, thanks for the quick response!

It's a '98 and no, I did not pay them. I do not know if they were training a junior mechanic or what but they just left me an awful mess.

I'll probably work on hooking everything back up tomorrow as well as replacing the plugs.

Thanks so much again!
L.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Go to www.autozone.com and create a free account. They have service manuals there for free. Enter vehicle information and get repair information. Search fuel injectors and it will tell you how to install them. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Go to www.autozone.com and create a free account. They have service manuals there for free. Enter vehicle information and get repair information. Search fuel injectors and it will tell you how to install them. Good luck and keep us informed.
Thanks ya' kindly for all the tips. I was able to successfully remount all the fuel injectors and get the truck running again. It took me about thirty minutes to get it all together. I still have not replaced the spark plugs, I will attempt that tomorrow.

Thanks again,
L.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Get a 7mm swivel socket or a 7mm socket on a 1/4 inch universal with various extensions. That will allow you to get the coil bolts out from under the fuel rail. Then get a locking extension to put your plug socket on. That way it will not come off down in the plug well. It is a 5/8 plug socket. Some of the plugs are really close, but paitence pays off.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM

Get a 7mm swivel socket or a 7mm socket on a 1/4 inch universal with various extensions. That will allow you to get the coil bolts out from under the fuel rail. Then get a locking extension to put your plug socket on. That way it will not come off down in the plug well. It is a 5/8 plug socket. Some of the plugs are really close, but paitence pays off.
Way2old,

Sorry about not replying for so long. I had a nasty cold for two days before it dried up. =P

I've lent the truck to my sister and her husband because they need a backup vehicle. I'll pop over one day and replace the plugs. Thanks so much for the specs!

I'll be sure to let you all know how it went!

L.