General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Understanding Ford Part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Default Understanding Ford Part numbers

I am looking to upgrade from SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 in my 2016 Explorer so we can have the Carplay apps. I have been trying to determine what parts are needed to do this and I have it narrowed down, but there is one thing I need help with.

When I search the Ford part websites, it shows the SYNC 3 schematic and labels out the parts. However, these parts only contain a 5 digit code, and not the typical XXXX-XXXXX-XX scheme. If they only show the 5 digit code, which I assume is the center 5 of the part number, will any part with that 5 digit identifier work, even if its from an F-150 or Escape?

Just trying to figure out what I missing.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Understanding Ford Part numbers-screen1.jpg   Understanding Ford Part numbers-screen2.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

You’d need the APIM for ‘Sync III’ (would need APIM programming from/per your VIN) with/without NAV, and the USB Media interface adapter.. With CarPlay married to your phone, Nav isn’t really needed and no update costs...

Last edited by Hayapower; 01-15-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 PM

To answer your question...NO. the 5 digit number you are seeing is just the "base" part number meaning that identifies the part only. The first part of the number (pre fix)pertains to the application to the vehicle and the last part (suffix) is the design change/series. I worked parts for about ten years in the mid eighties to mid nineties and I could look at a part number and be able to tell you what is was and what it fit and where it fit. But they started to change the system some by the time I left and the number didn't make any sense anymore.
Now will systems from other Ford vehicles work?..... maybe.