New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

07 Expedition timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Question 07 Expedition timing issue

I replaced the timing chains, phasers, guides and crank gear on a 2007 ford expedition. after installation was complete the truck cranks up fine idles fine and drives with no issues however it runs for about 30 min then starts running rough and dies. it will not crank up after that. it turns over and acts like it is out of time. I can let it sit for a couple of hours and then it will crank up and run fine again. the is no check engine light or codes. I have changed the cam position senors out, this has me and my mechanic stump. just wondering if anyone has had this issue. thanks

Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 AM

Some more questions, as usual, what about the motor oil, clean, changed, and the VVT solenoids , are they clean and keep in mind they are operated by oil pressure. If you did not get all the crud out of the oil pick up in the pan half the job was not done.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Some more questions, as usual, what about the motor oil, clean, changed, and the VVT solenoids , are they clean and keep in mind they are operated by oil pressure. If you did not get all the crud out of the oil pick up in the pan half the job was not done.
Clean oil new oil pump pan is clean also. VTC solenoid cleaned and moved freely. Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM

Could you bring me up to speed a bit?
What was the original problem, what did you find, what exactly did you do, I know some of the parts you replaced, the big question now is , did some addl stuff get in the passages and might be blocking the VVT solenoids and they might be getting blocked when enought stuff gets trappd in there.?
How badly were the solenoids blocked and could they be getting blocked again? Not knowing what was the original problem and what you found could have a bearing on what might be happening. Did you have nylon pieces get loose into the oil in which case the pan has to be dropped to clean everything out.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:36 PM

Could you bring me up to speed a bit?
What was the original problem, what did you find, what exactly did you do, I know some of the parts you replaced, the big question now is , did some addl stuff get in the passages and might be blocking the VVT solenoids and they might be getting blocked when enought stuff gets trappd in there.?
How badly were the solenoids blocked and could they be getting blocked again? Not knowing what was the original problem and what you found could have a bearing on what might be happening. Did you have nylon pieces get loose into the oil in which case the pan has to be dropped to clean everything out.
The original problem was the timing chain guides and actuators were worn and the truck would raddle on crank up. Pulled front cover replaced the phasors, timing chain, crank gear and oil pump. Removed VTC solenoids cleaned and inspected screen. Solenoids were clean no debri or old oil residue a little lacquer film on the out side of solenoid they moved freely. Used all new gaskets. Reassembled front of engine. New oil and oil filter. Cranked the truck up. It cranked up with no difficulties. Idled smooth good oil pressure no knocking or ticking. I let it run for 10 min or so and then test drove it around the neighborhood. Drove normally Back in the drive way I shut the engine. It shut down normally no shaking nothing. Replaced all the plastic parts under the hood. Tried to start the truck again and it acted like it was way out of time it would turn over but never crank. Strong smell of gas from tailpipe. Checked all connections and hoses. All good. Took a break. Three hours Later the truck cranked right up no shaking or misses. I let it run in the driveway after about 30 minuets it started to idle roughly and then died same thing would not crank up again. I replaced both cam position sensors. No change. There are no codes being displayed. Hope this gives a clear picture of what going on. Thanks for you interest.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:37 PM

I would at this time suspect something going on with the crank sensor.Check the wiring down there, if ok, crank sensor could have a problem and they don't usually throw any codes. The smell of raw gas, signals no spark to fire the plugs.

What has worked for me if I suspected the crank sensor was opening when hot, I sprayed cold water on it and if it fires right up, it was defective and needed to be replaced.

Last edited by hanky; 01-20-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:47 PM

I would at this time suspect something going on with the crank sensor.Check the wiring down there, if ok, crank sensor could have a problem and they don't usually throw any codes. The smell of raw gas, signals no spark to fire the plugs.

What has worked for me if I suspected the crank sensor was opening when hot, I sprayed cold water on it and if it fires right up, it was defective and needed to be replaced.
Thanks I’ll give that a try. I’ll let you know the results.