New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Default Crank but no start

Hi I have a 2004 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 triton. Drove the truck last Friday and it was fine. Next day didn’t start. It cranks but no fire. I have fuel. I have spark. Ran the scan tool and no codes. But I did find oil on my spark plugs. Could that cause the no start? PLEASE HELP!!

Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM

Did you find oil on all of them or just certain ones?
If you clean the oil off will it start then?
Not being there, are you sure it is oil or could it be excess fuel because spark is coming at the wrong time?
Did you just by fuel the day you parked it?
You know where this is headed and it won't be the first time a bad load of fuel was purchased.
If you try to lite the tip of the plug with a match will it ignite? If good fuel, it should !!

Old 10-12-2018, 05:05 PM

It’s definitely oil. And i didn’t take all the ignition coils out. 2 of 3 I took out on one side had oil and the one I took out on the other side had oil. And I did fill up my fuel the night before it would t start and also put some marvel mystery oil in with the full tank.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:29 AM

This could be the problem. It is a worst case picture, but not all may apply.
The oil is probably coming from bad gaskets under the valve covers that seal around the spark plug holes.

If you have some bad gas, one way we prove it is to get some from the fuel supply to the engine and spill a teaspoonful on concrete or nonflammable surface and attempt to light it with a match. If it will not lite and burn , the engine will not run with it.

If that is the case, the fuel lines and tank will need to be drained and fuel filter changed. A lot of work !
I recall a supervisor asking if we couldn't add a lot of drygas and that take care of it. My reply was , I can't make gas out of water,sorry !
What you can do to verify just how bad the situation is ,
Relieve the pressure on the fuel system by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine over a few times, then reinstall the fuse.
Get under the vehicle and remove the fuel filter and tip it down so the contents drain out the way they went in.
If you get a lot of water , that confirms it.
Before going any further, let's see just what you get and hopefully none of the above is the case.