New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Automotive Design for the 5 Percenters (under 5 feet):

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 PM
Unhappy Automotive Design for the 5 Percenters (under 5 feet):

To automotive designers, some questions that maybe you can consider re-evaluating...on behalf of us short folks, or what you call the FIVE PERCENTERS:
I am under 5 feet, so:
1) car seats have become so high that the head-rest is way above where I need it, even when the headrest is on the lowest level. (I removed mine on my Ford Escape, since my head would hit the top of the seat).
2) the seat belts hit me in the neck, even with the seat belt adjustment at its lowest level. I have used a couple of clips, but they snap off or don't stay in place. Can't you design something better?
3) The length of the seat from back to front is also, in most cars, too long for me. Can't those be adjustable also?
4) the lumbar support also should be adjustable so it can go low enough for us.
5) You adjust for tall, but not for short! Just my comments!

Thank you!!!

Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Good points..

My wife hated my 05 F250 seats, seems the lower cushion was too long for her shorter legs and caused her discomfort or caused her legs to go to sleep on longer trips . For me they were just fine. My New truck is fine for her. Even though both were/are captains chair seating.

Option for her was a seat cushion for the back and bottom raising her up and forward. Not a fan of add on seat supplements myself , but OE design always seems to follow the general rule of operator measurements, with somewhat limited to no adjustments for actual body to seat height, length.

Years ago in the F series trucks, mostly the bench seating, was lacking for position and comfort, so we’d pull the seats and have a tad of extra seat foam added/sculpted to gain some height and ‘more so’ lumbar support. Effectively lifting and raising the horizontal position, and keeping with a more factory look over a strap in position pad.. Any more extreme cushion altering required the seating bolsters or side wings extended to accomdate the extra thicknesses..

Some makes/models, like shoes, make for better fit. Like my new truck not crazy about the headrest positions, seating is nice,, but i think my old 05 seats were more comfortable for the driver, but not for my passenger. My 03 Super Cab, with the large bolsters were a sofa! My wife’s KIA,, she loves her 6 way heated/cooled leather seating. For me,, the passenger seat has terrible lumbar support and is uncomfortable for me without a pad. And i don’t have a bad back!