New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New user, seeking new opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Arrow New user, seeking new opinions!

Hi all,

I currently own a 2014 F-150 ecoboost XLT, 3.5L, supercrew, 2-wheel drive, and with a short bed. I am faced with a tough decision and am looking for some outside opinions and insight. When I bought my current truck, the dealership called me back a week after originally signing for it, and jacked my payments up because of a mistake on their end. Long story short, I am working with the GM and he is trying to make it right. So my first option is to refinance my truck that I have now and keep that, but with lower payments. The next option that I am looking at would be to get a new 2017 vehicle for lower payments than what I am paying now. If I did that, I would either get the same truck that I have now, except get it with 4x4. I was looking at the prices at the dealership and the F250 super duty 6.7L powerstroke was the near the same price as my current truck with 4x4, in the 2017 version. Really I am looking for an outside opinion that could nudge me in the right direction to suit my needs. Here is some info about things that I want/need:

I am big into state and national parks and would like a truck with an offroad package and 4-wheel drive to attain to the off road dirt/rocky trails that I would drive on. Big Bend National park is my personal favorite and is about 6hrs away from where I live(fuel efficiency)*. My truck now is NOT 4-wheel drive and is currently getting about 13.5 MPG. I was wanting a diesel for the gas mileage, but was wondering if it truly is cheaper on gas. I would not be wanting to spend 70-80$ every week on gas, and currently spend about $40 a week/a week and a half now. I would get it to where my oil changes and brakes would be done free at the dealership as well so the maintenance would not be such a big impact. Some things that I am personally not willing to give up from the truck I have now are or things that I want for my truck are...
  • 4 doors
  • Super crew (I love all the space in the backseat)
  • I like a short-bed. (6.5-6.75ft bed)
  • Front-Middle seat
  • Better fuel efficiency
Some options that I don't need but would really want are:
  • Off road package
  • Turbo(I love the sound of a turbo with a good exhaust set-up)
  • Diesel
  • Remote Start(Is this even available with a diesel??)
What are y'all's thoughts and opinions on the matter, what would you recommend, and what would you do in my situation?

This is also a truck that I plan to have for many years to come!
Thank you for your time and comments

Last edited by Jacob Ryan Marriott; 01-07-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Once you signed the contract you are not obligated to resign another one due to dealership error. I assume you signed it based on the numbers....maybe you wouldn't have signed the original deal if the numbers were higher. if you trade the truck in... what kind of penalty do they want you to take?

unless you need a diesel for towing; forget it. the real mpg saving is when towing a load. Driving unloaded on the highway is maybe 5mpg difference, if that, compared to a gas 250 chassis. 150 gasser would be 1500lbs lighter than a 250 diesel. put a tonneau on your truck...it will improve 1mpg

the higher purchance price, maintenance cost, repair costs once off warranty of a diesel is horrible. injectors are $600 each x8, turbo $3-5g, injection pumps 3-5g, def pumps $2g...egr coolers, particluate filters $1000

stay with a 150 and get 4x4.

Last edited by primem; 01-08-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:17 PM

No penalty, the problem was is we were working with a third party bank who rejected singing the contract so it was void. And purchase price will be the same. Dealer is looking to give about 20grand off of purchase price. So if you could get a superduty, off road package, powerstroke, supercrew, for the same price as an f150 4x4 would you do it? And I do want the truck to last me 150-200k miles at least. I know with the diesel that will cost some. What mileage, if taken care of, would the diesel need to have parts start being replaced?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 PM

if you can get a new diesel for the price of a new 150 go for it. when you sell it, your resale with be much higher with a diesel.
don't buy an old used chipped diesel.
it will last that mileage...don't chip it, or add aftermarket air filters. lift kits and big tires make it drive like **** on the highway and reduce mpg