New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

96 F250 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Default 96 F250 diesel

My Ford dealership told me I needed a new transmission after I brought it in for hard shifting. I bought a "farm remanufactured transmission" and speed sensor. Upon driving the vehicle at highway speed 55-70mph. I have noted the speed odometer speed pointer to bounce from what should be a true speed measure to a couple of mph slower then back. The pointer bounce increases with speed. Also the cruise control engagement and disengagement makes the vehicle feel as if the vehicle were pushing against a wind. I've returned twice. The tech changed the speed sensor. Upon the next visit he said the connection to the sensor may be bad. He wants to cut the wires and replce the plug to the sensor.

Does any of this make sense? The current problem began after the trans installation. Help
thanks

Old 01-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Default RE: 96 F250 diesel

I'm not a transmistion tech, but did the problem with the odometer excest before the trans was replaced?
And what is a "farm" remanufactored trans?
Depending on any corrosion he see on the connector, I guess it could be bad, but I not feeling confident it will fix your problem. Hopefully some trans tech will see this and help us out.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: cctxfish

I'm not a transmistion tech, but did the problem with the odometer excest before the trans was replaced?
And what is a "farm" remanufactored trans?
Depending on any corrosion he see on the connector, I guess it could be bad, but I not feeling confident it will fix your problem. Hopefully some trans tech will see this and help us out.
The only symptom of a driveability problem was hard shifting. I drove the vehicle at highway speed to the shop using the crusie control. There was no problem with either the crusie or the odometer.

Since the repair the speed sensor and the plug to it have been changed. The tech says "all I did was change out the transmission and speed sensor". So he exchanged his sensor for another and then upon another visit change the connector plug to the sensor. The tech says the problem is not in the sensor or plug.

By the way the sensor was located in the rear axle house not the trans. I can't figure out why I needed a new sensor.

The problem continues though. The pointer continues to jump. Iti s most noticeable at higher speeds. And the Cruise control continues to accelerate and shut down. This is noticeable because the vehicle feels as though it is in a stong head wind with the cruise on and then all of a sudden the wind is gon and there is a lurch forward.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Does it seem like the trans is going in and out of gear? Is the check engine light on?
The trans at highway speed is it going into a lock-up torque converter so that no energy is lost from the engine. Is the signal to the torque converter turning on and off? Some trucks have and towing button that delay the shift of the trans and the cancelation of locking the torgue converter. I'd try driving the vehicle with that button engaged for a while and see what I feel.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:21 AM

Thanks again for your reply cctxfish.

The problem with the acceleration/deceleration while in cruise and the bouncing odometer problem continue whether in overdrive or not. The problem is most pronounced/apparent at speeds of 65 or more.

To tell you about the term "Farm remanufactured" it is a company that is authorized to reman transmissions for ford as best as I can figure.

Thanks again
louieg

Old 01-31-2005, 07:55 PM

So there is not surging when you are driving without the cruise control, you just have the bouncing speedometer.
I'd take it back and have them find out if the computer speed is doing the same thing. Maybe you can get them to swap out the insterment panel and/or check the signal going into it or the cruise control module.
Good luck

Old 12-03-2017, 05:41 PM

I have a 93 f250 with the E4OD transmission. When I bought the truck it had an aftermarket shift module pluged inline with the original shift module. It got burnt by the exhaust and went out. After unplugging it and plugging directly into the internal module it acted as you describe yours acting. I am in the process of replacing the module as well as filter torque converter and front seal. Front seal went bad and was pouring transmission fluid out. Just thought it maybe something to consider in your troubleshooting.