Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Accidentally put diesel exhaust fluid in my fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

We used to see a lot of diesels that were polluted using fueling cans with either water, gas or the unknown liquids. :-) Fueled from bed mounted aux tanks as well if not filtered. Water (urea core component) is tough on the injectors and doesn't take long to fail them left to sit. Most often noticed Or discovered under running conditions since the water will gall the injectors pintles causing them to stick.
They utilize a 'return to tank ' system which if the key remained On long enough, multiple cycles, water/urea would be circulated at least through the base fuel circuit/filters.
SD is an awesome platform, and the diesel, no comparison and easy to add in extra ponies if need be for towing and hauling..

At its introduction, we attended a product/emmisions meeting for CAT, they were talking about upcoming emmision regs, new equipment, repowering etc and had new truck/engine demos running the new mystery fluid.. Like with clear, red, diesels distinctions I asked if urea was to be 'colored' for fluid ID? Asking if it would be called dyeurea? They weren't amused..lol

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-06-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 PM

Follow up: Turns out that turning the ignition enough to disengage the transmission and turn the steering wheel energizes the pump even though it does not start the engine. While they do not have to rip the engine apart they will have to replace the injectors, filters all fuel lines and sensors. Well not all. One of the lines is of an alloy that is not harmed by the DEF. About 30 man hours and $9,000. Insurance covers everything but the deductible. The mechanic said that you will have to disengage the trans and the steering wheel but you should disconnect the pump first. Disconnect the batteries or pull the fuze or disconnect the power going to the pump. I should have the truck back in three days.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Glad it'll be up and running and a faded memory.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:48 AM

I just went through this I added 4 GALLONS of Def to my gas and drove the entire tank through my system and one by one my gates stop working injectors started knocking and it was a very rough start. They told me it was a 17,000$ full fuel line replacement and decantamination.

DO NOT PAY THIS! I got my insurance involved and they Told the dealership they would not allow them to charge me that money and they wanted to start with replacing the pumps and the filters and AA solid fuel line and system flush including the iInjectors. This worked and the dealership was very very surprised my truck runs like it's brand new. This whole game of replacing your entire lower fuel system and/or decontamination kits that cost tens of thousands of dollars is a joke and a huge money maker for these dealerships. My Insurance said that they have said the Same issue with other Trucks And have recommended this same Steps basically a full fuel line flush and change out all of your filters and the pump and they have never had issues or negative results. The dealership will tell you "if it doesn't work you're out the $1200" in my opinion it's worth the risk considering that it has worked on almost every vehicle out there if it did not work next have replaced the injectors as sometimes they cannot get the contaminants out of the injector heads. Rare again but possible.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Default Def fuel added to deisel gas tank CHEAP FIX Solution

I just went through this I added 4 GALLONS of Def to my gas and drove the entire tank through my system and one by one my gates stop working injectors started knocking and it was a very rough start. They told me it was a 17,000$ full fuel line replacement and decantamination.

DO NOT PAY THIS! I got my insurance involved and they Told the dealership they would not allow them to charge me that money and they wanted to start with replacing the pumps and the filters and AA solid fuel line and system flush including the iInjectors. This worked and the dealership was very very surprised my truck runs like it's brand new. This whole game of replacing your entire lower fuel system and/or decontamination kits that cost tens of thousands of dollars is a joke and a huge money maker for these dealerships. My Insurance said that they have said the Same issue with other Trucks And have recommended this same Steps basically a full fuel line flush and change out all of your filters and the pump and they have never had issues or negative results. The dealership will tell you "if it doesn't work you're out the $1200" in my opinion it's worth the risk considering that it has worked on almost every vehicle out there if it did not work next have replaced the injectors as sometimes they cannot get the contaminants out of the injector heads. Rare again but possible.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:08 PM

So, what happened with your warranty?

Old 09-27-2018, 04:34 AM

From working on diesel engines for a long time , there is no question as to what water and other contaminants can do the the closely fitted components.
If DEF got into the closely fitted components, time is the determining factor.
Personally , if I were the insurance co , I probably would say the same as they did, but here is the kicker, unseen damage can and will appear up the road and now who pays?

Old 02-23-2021, 09:52 PM

I see this thread is old but I'll ask anyway. Maybe there will be a answer. What insurance are you talking about? Did your comprehensive auto insurance coverage this"