Member Group And Special Buys Vendors and Advertisers will post special group buys for our members here! Check it out.

08 Escape hybrid jump start won't work, help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Angry 08 Escape hybrid jump start won't work, help!

Hi, I have a 2008 Ford escape hybrid 4X4.
I bought it from a municipality that said ford had diagnosed it as having a failed hybrid battery, I replaced the 12V under the hood battery, and put a junkyard hybrid battery in it, and it won't start, or charge up with the jump start button.
I have tried everything I could think of, and have exhausted nearly the entirety of the internet!
Could it just need codes cleared to allow it to work?
Or can the jump start system itself fail?
I have a basic scanner, and it reads a generic P0A1F Battery Energy Control Module code.
I reset it, and it just comes back.
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Pin point test L is three steps.
1 - Is the service plug damaged in any way?
If no go to step 2.

2 - Is the BCM throwing P0A8B, P0A8D, P0A8E during a on demand module test?
If no go to step 3.

3 - Check BCM connectors for any damage, corrosion, pushed out pins.
If no reassemble vehicle and check system operation, if fault still present install a new high voltage battery.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:59 PM

Thanks for replying.
#1, The service plug is in great shape, and I tried switching it with another one just for good measure.

#2, I'm not getting the code you mentioned, but all I have is a very basic scanner (could clearing the codes with a pro scanner be a possible fix?).

#3, As for the bcm, I don't know if I'm willing to open the battery because I think I need special bits, and I may not be able to return the junkyard battery if I do . . . Aslo, the other battery wouldn't charge either, do I suspect it is something else.

(Correct me if I'm wrong on anything here).

Old 12-13-2020, 06:39 AM

Your gonna need ForScan to do step 2.
BCM is the body control module, its not that battery.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:03 AM

Isn't the BCM inside the hv battery case?

Old 12-13-2020, 04:07 PM

I apologize, apparently in this hybrid they call it a battery energy control module but abbreviate it as a BCM which is the abbreviation used for the body control module in most other Fords.
Code P0A1F description - Battery Energy Control Module has Internal Errors.

Step 1 - Inspect the high voltage service disconnect for damage, also check the high voltage fuse resistance is less then 1 ohm. If the connector is hurt/not plugged in correctly then it will shut the system down for safety reasons. If no issues found go to step 2

Step 2 - Pull recorded codes and run a on demand from the BCM (battery energy control module),if P0A8B, P0A8D, P0A8E are present go to other diag. If no codes found go to step 3.

Step 3 - Disconnect 6 and 40 pin connectors to the BCM, check for corrosion and pushed out pins, correct if found. Reconnect 6 and 40 pin connectors making sure they are securely connected. Operate the system and check if the issue is still present.
If issue is still present then replace the high voltage traction battery assembly.

Basically it sounds like this DTC sets if there is a high voltage system fault, Ford will not have you open a high voltage battery, you check for damage to external components such as wires, fuse, connectors, pins. If nothing is found and the fault is still present you have eliminated everything else so the fault is inside the high voltage battery assembly.
I have had weird issue where even if you replace the bad sensor that set a code the system will not operate correctly until the code is cleared with a scan tool, I work at a dealer so I use IDS, thus I do not know but I can not rule out that you need IDS or Forscan to clear this code.
Honestly I would not buy a junkyard hybrid battery its not like buying a engine from a low mileage rear ended car since you can break down and fix a engine. I understand the money issue but I would worry about getting a internally faulted battery.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:37 PM

I eventually ended up replacing the hybrid battery with a known good, used battery, and everything sprang to life after a few jump start attempts!
Thanks for the help