Transmission All geared up? Talk trans here. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Linkage trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Default Linkage trouble...

I have a 1992 Mercury Marquis, 4 door, automatic tranny. Well, it has the cable linkage setup from the column, and both the cable linkage and the detent cable hook up into the tranny at the same spot. Well, I went to tighten the bolt head and it slipped off. What I need to know is there a way to pull the rod out without dropping the pan and valve body, or do I just have to drop it all and replace it that way? Also, is the connecting rod availible by itself, or is it only in the rebuild kits? So far, that is the only way I have found it. Another thing, what exactly is that rod called?? And how might I go about finding that thing?? If anybody can help me, please e-mail me at Bigfootbuz@yahoo.com, or reply on here, whichever is better for you. thank much!

Old 04-25-2005, 02:17 AM
Default RE: Linkage trouble...

To replace any part of the linkage in the transmission its self you will have to pull the pan and you should be able to remove linkage without removing valve body. The hardest part is pulling the little roll pin that holds the shift linkage in the case and sometimes the retaining nut can be a hassle. You should beable to get anotherone either from Ford dealer or possible a junk yard.

Good luck and lets us know how you made out.[sm=burnout.gif]