Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Transmission (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/transmission-47/)
-   -   mx cruse-o-matic trans case reinforcement brace (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/transmission-47/mx-cruse-o-matic-trans-case-reinforcement-brace-39742/)

bobwhite 03-26-2019 11:21 AM

mx cruse-o-matic trans case reinforcement brace

done loads of searching all over net to no avail. anyone have a photo(s) of the MX Cruise-o-Matic trans (approx 1965 and earlier) case brace that was available in the past to repair or prevent case cracks? i think northwest trans was the supplier. all help appreciated.

imp 04-07-2019 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by bobwhite (Post 112830)
done loads of searching all over net to no avail. anyone have a photo(s) of the MX Cruise-o-Matic trans (approx 1965 and earlier) case brace that was available in the past to repair or prevent case cracks? i think northwest trans was the supplier. all help appreciated.

Sorry to answer so late; just joined. I worked with those iron babies before they were re-named FMX, etc. My first car, '55 Merc. had a transmission preceding the Cruiso-o-matic in that it had 3 speeds, but started in 2nd gear in "D". Sometime later the transmission was made to start in 1st. gear in D1. D2 started in 2nd. gear.

To achieve starting in 1st., a one-way clutch was added to eliminate the neck-jerking engine braking in 1st. if one suddenly let off the gas before it shifted to 2nd. That one-way clutch was said to be responsible for cracking the case. Unfortunately, I never saw one cracked, so do not know exactly the nature or location of the crack. I have, unfortunately, never seen nor heard of a brace like you mention. If you could send pics of a cracked case, I have old Ford Shop Manuals which I could consult regarding the details of the one-way clutch, and it just might be possible to design a brace to prevent cracking.

I'm a degreed Mechanical and Electrical Engineer. imp

bobwhite 04-08-2019 10:06 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ff0b67fe0d.jpg
FMX case left, COM right
thanks for responding. i don't have a crack, but am interested in preventing them. the cracks sometimes occur in the threaded hole at the center rib of the case that mounts the intermediate servo. (see this video link for visual reference)
i'm not a fan of welding cast iron. the "northwest trans parts" brace bolted on, but i've never seen one and i'm not sure if it's for this intermediate problem or the problem with the rear servo mounting hole(s) cracking(some have said to restrict the feed orifice to the rear servo to apply it more slowly to aid in preventing those cracks). i do think the northwest brace was for the rear servo. i've read where a trans man named "Stuart" with decades of experience with the COM trans on another site says the intermediate cracks or rear servo cracks (or both? not completely sure) are caused by the int band being adjusted too loosely. he says the ford service manual adjustment spec of torquing to 10in# with a .25" thick spacer in place and backing off the bolt 1 full turn is an error and it should be torqued to 10 in# with the .25" thick spacer in place, remove the spacer and tighten 1 additional full turn. i might also consider some engine mods for more power/torque in the future and would like a little more confidence and peace of mind concerning the trans case. car will be a 1965 mercury monterey with COM MX trans and 390-4V with oem rating of 300hp. a robust and rigid alum trans pan could be fabbed,but would primarily only support the perimeter of the pan case opening and not the intermediate crack thread area of the case rib. note that the fmx case has an added cast member along the centerline axis of trans from the front bulkhead of the case to the rib area where the int band threaded hole cracks. rib also appears to be a little thicker in fmx(see case images at top). some have also said that backing up in reverse at more than 5 mph and putting it in drive before coming to a complete stop causes the cracks at the rear servo mounting hole(s). i'm simply gathering ideas and suggestions at this time. thanks

bobwhite 05-02-2019 09:54 AM

oh well, when the time comes i'll design my own. thanks for the opportunity to post.

bobwhite 05-03-2019 09:21 PM

stumbled across some info on another site where someone said that tightening the adjustment screw for the intermediate (front) band 1 turn (after having torqued it to 10 in# with the .25" thick spacer in place and removing the spacer) is also part of the TransGo shift kit method. this adjustment setting is supposed to help reduce the possibility of case cracks.