Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Windstar/Aerostar (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/)
-   -   1999 Ford Windstar dies then will not crack unless jumped off (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/windstar-aerostar-30/1999-ford-windstar-dies-then-will-not-crack-unless-jumped-off-34079/)

jimbobhog 02-02-2016 01:35 PM

1999 Ford Windstar dies then will not crack unless jumped off

1999 Ford Windstar 3.8L 112,000 miles on it. While driving, the power steering pump froze up. I replaced it and got it working fine. The next day, I was test driving it and came to a stop light. The van idled really rough then died. I was able to crank it immediately and though the engine would surge (almost like a vacuum leak) I was able to get it to my driveway. While turning around in my driveway, I applied the brakes to make the sharp turn and the van died again. I attempted to crank it again and the starter would clunk (not click, clunk, almost like the starter was hitting he flywheel.) I tested the battery and it reads at 12.5 volts. I attempted to jump it off with no change. I bought and replaced the starter. I was able to get the windstar to crank with the new starter and it ran smooth after cleaning out the IAC. While letting the van idle for about 15 minutes, i drove around the front yard and slammed on the brakes and making sharp turns, and the van died again. Once again when I attempt to restart the van and the brand new starter makes the same clunking noise.

At this point, I have checked the serpentine belt, it is almost new and lined up perfectly, new battery, new starter, alternator is less than a year old, IAC sensor has been cleaned and the rod moves easily. At this point I need some suggestions. And maybe a little luck.

hanky 02-02-2016 03:45 PM

It might be a good idea to check the flywheel flex plate. Sounds like it's moving around.

jimbobhog 02-02-2016 04:40 PM

Update

So I let the van sit over night. I went out this morning and it was able to crank the van under its own power without jumping it off. At this point, the motor has developed a knock. Sound a lot like this link
Oil is full and fine. Van has never ran hot, and I do not believe that it is the actual motor knocking. Anyone had this one before?

jimbobhog 02-03-2016 11:36 AM

Link to the video of my actual van. Hanky, you said it might be the flywheel flex plate....If so, how do I check that? I am a newbie, and I am trying to get this van fixed so I can get my dad to his doctor appointments. I apologize, if i'm being redundant with these posts, but it seems like every time we fix one thing another problem pops up. Thanks again for all the help.

hanky 02-03-2016 02:36 PM

There should be a cover on the lower section of the trans where it attaches to the engine. If you remove the cover you should be able to see the flywheel. Cracked flexplates were a common problem with those vehicles. Consider having someone at least look at your vehicle for that problem. If it is confirmed it will possibly require an updated part to prevent a recurring problem.
Our Ford parts expert,Kyle, might be able to shed additional light on the problem and the measures needed to correct.
I have also heard vibration dampers produce a similar noise when the rubber cushioning gave out.

LakelandFordParts 02-03-2016 04:28 PM

Thank you Hanky! The flex plate for this vehicle is obsolete if you we interested in buying OEM. DelBalso Ford (PH: (570) 288-4501) shows to have one of them in stock, part number XF2Z-6375-AA. I would have the vehicle looked at before your throw any more money at it because that knock sounds awful.